Nationals defeat Marlins in extrasJul 14, 2013 - 11:36 PM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Denard Span broke a tie game in the 10th inning and led the Washington Nationals to a 5-2 win against the Miami Marlins to avoid a three-game sweep.
Span finished with three hits, including two doubles, and knocked in a pair of runs to snap a three-game losing streak.
"We definitely needed to get a win," Washington pitcher Tyler Clippard said. "Coming here, we obviously wanted to win the series. It was a tough loss last night and a tough one to swallow. To get the win tonight was huge."
Rookie Taylor Jordan received a no-decision despite giving up two runs with four strikeouts in six innings. Craig Stammen (5-4), who took lost Saturday's 10-inning thriller, picked up the win after tossing a scoreless ninth.
"I felt really good," Jordan said. "Everything seemed to be working today."
Steve Cishek (3-5) gave up a run for the first time in 18 appearances, a streak that spanned 16 1/3 innings, to take the loss. Cishek, who won Saturday's game, gave up three runs on three hits in 1 1/3 innings.
"I really wanted to finish on a strong note for the first half," Cishek said.
Derek Dietrich homered for Miami, which had three straight games coming into Sunday.
Jayson Werth started the 10th inning with a one-out base hit but was erased when Ian Desmond grounded into a fielder's choice. Span followed with a double to right to score Desmond and give Washington the lead. Span came home on Wilson Ramos' single and pinch-hitter Chad Tracy capped the rally with an RBI double to right, scoring Ramos.
Rafael Soriano pitched around a one-out double to secure his 25th save of the year.
Span gave the Nationals the lead in the second inning. Adam LaRoche reached on a single to left and scored on Span's double to right-center field.
Miami right fielder Giancarlo Stanton picked up a pair of outfield assists in the top of the fourth. He gunned down Jayson Werth at second after failing to come up with a diving catch, then ended the inning with a strike to the plate to erase Desmond at home.
After Stanton's heroics kept the game close in the top half of the frame, the Marlins took the lead in the bottom half. Marcell Ozuna singled before Dietrich lined a two-run home run to right to take the lead.
Washington tied the game in the seventh after Bryce Harper worked a two-out walk. Anthony Rendon lined a double to the left-field corner to score Harper and tie the game.
Marlins starter Henderson Alvarez gave up two runs on nine hits in 6 2/3 innings ... Miami starting pitchers have allowed three-runs-or-less in 23 of their past 26 starts dating back to June 16 ... Washington has not been swept by an National League East opponent this season ... Washington failed to homer in the series to end a streak of 86 consecutive series with a home run. The last time the Nationals did not hit a home run in a series was a four-game set at Citi Field from September 12-15, 2011.
- WASHINGTON: 5
Jul 14 4:50 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Chad Tracy double to right center scored Wilson Ramos. Runner on second with two outs and Bryce Harper due up.
Nationals 5, Marlins 2 Top 10, 2 OutsJul 14 4:38 PM
- Wilson Ramos single to left scored Denard Span. Runner on first with two outs and Craig Stammen due up.
Nationals 4, Marlins 2 Top 10, 2 OutsJul 14 4:34 PM
- Denard Span double to center scored Ian Desmond. Runner on second with two outs and Wilson Ramos due up.
Nationals 3, Marlins 2 Top 10, 2 OutsJul 14 4:32 PM
- Anthony Rendon double to left scored Bryce Harper. Runner on second with two outs and Ryan Zimmerman due up.
Nationals 2, Marlins 2 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 14 3:07 PM
- Derek Dietrich none-out, two-run Home Run (9) to right scored Marcell Ozuna. Adeiny Hechavarria due up.
Nationals 1, Marlins 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 14 2:23 PM
- Denard Span double to center scored Adam LaRoche. Runner on second with two outs and Wilson Ramos due up.
Nationals 1, Marlins 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 14 1:32 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 14 1:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Marlins' Yelich scratched from lineup because of back spasms May 21
- Auction site says it's selling Bryce Harper fight jersey May 21