Dodgers slip past Nationals in 10Jul 21, 2013 - 5:03 AM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Hanley Ramirez's RBI double in the 10th inning plated the go-ahead run to lift the Los Angeles Dodgers to a 3-1 win over the Washington Nationals in the middle test of a three-game set.
Adrian Gonzalez opened the frame with a double then scored as Ramirez laced a two-bagger off the wall in left-center field. After moving to third on Juan Uribe's sacrifice bunt, Ramirez scored on Andre Ethier's sacrifice fly to left.
Ramirez finished the game 3-for-5 and Mark Ellis added an RBI single for Los Angeles, which has won 19 of its last 24 games to move within one-half game of the Arizona Diamondbacks for first place in the NL West.
Dodgers starter Zack Greinke allowed one run on seven hits over six innings.
Chris Withrow (1-0) worked a perfect ninth to earn first-career win and Kenley Jansen retired the side in order in the 10th to pick up his 11th save.
"We're winning all kinds of different ways as the momentum has started to go our way," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said. "We lost of lot of these early in the year, but now it seems like we're hanging in there, feeling like we're going to win these."
Roger Bernadina drove in the Nationals' lone run with a pinch-hit single in the sixth.
Washington starter Gio Gonzalez scattered four hits and struck out 11 over six scoreless innings.
Craig Stammen (5-5) was pegged with the loss after giving up the go-ahead run in the 10th while recording one out.
The Nationals broke through for a run in the sixth inning. With runners on first and second and two outs, Bernadina dropped a bloop single to right field. Dodgers right fielder Yasiel Puig fired the ball home, but it wasn't in time, allowing Chad Tracy to score. Catcher Tim Federowicz, though, fired the ball to second to catch Bernadina to end the frame.
The Dodgers tied the game in their next turn at the plate. Skip Schumaker laced a two-out double to center then came around on Ellis' base hit to left.
Washington put two on with one out in the home seventh but failed to click, then placed a runner on third with one out in the eighth inning, but were unable once more to cash in on the scoring chance. The Nats went just 1-for-12 with runners in scoring position and are just 2-for-21 with RISP in the series.
"We got into great hitting counts all night and didn't do anything. That was frustrating," said Nationals manager Davey Johnson.
Ramirez is batting .390 with 28 RBI over 41 games this season ... Gonzalez hasn't lost since May 27 ... Washington went 1-for-12 with RISP ... Game time: 4:07.
- LOS ANGELES: 3
Jul 20 11:15 PM
- Andre Ethier sacrifice fly to left scored Hanley Ramirez with two out. None on and Carl Crawford due up.
Dodgers 3, Nationals 1 Top 10, 2 OutsJul 20 10:58 PM
- Hanley Ramirez double to center scored Adrian Gonzalez with none out. Runner on second and Juan Uribe due up.
Dodgers 2, Nationals 1 Top 10, 0 OutsJul 20 10:52 PM
- Mark Ellis single to left scored Skip Schumaker with two out. Runner on first and Yasiel Puig due up.
Dodgers 1, Nationals 1 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 20 9:20 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Roger Bernadina single to right scored Chad Tracy with two out. On the play, Roger Bernadina was thrown out at second, right to catcher to short to end the inning.
Dodgers 0, Nationals 1 End 6Jul 20 9:12 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 20 7:07 PM
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22