Reds pull out narrow win against PiratesJul 21, 2013 - 4:08 AM Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - Joey Votto's bases-loaded walk in the sixth inning brought home Zack Cozart with the winning run, and Cincinnati claimed a 5-4 decision over Pittsburgh in the middle test of a three-game series.
Cozart and Brandon Phillips both finished with two hits, an RBI and a run scored for the Reds, who have won four of their last five, including the first two in the set.
Mat Latos (9-3) allowed four hits and three runs -- two earned -- over five innings for the win. Aroldis Chapman posted his 23rd save with a scoreless ninth, but worked out of a two-on, no-out jam to wrap up the contest.
"If we had gone a whole lot longer, he might not have been able to come back," Reds manager Dusty Baker said of his starter. "As it was, he was at 100 pitches in the fifth. He was really at about 125-130, including what we threw underneath to stay warm."
Andrew McCutchen collected four hits including a solo homer, and Garrett Jones also went deep for the Pirates, losers of three straight and seven of 10.
A.J. Burnett (4-7) was charged in the setback with 10 hits and five runs -- two earned -- in 5 2/3 frames.
"We fought to get on base and to give ourselves opportunities to win the game," noted Pirates manager Clint Hurdle. "The effort is there, but the challenge is to meet the demands of the game and overcome them."
Cozart began the home sixth with a base hit, then advanced on a one-out pinch- single from Cesar Izturis. Chris Heisey's walk loaded the bases, then Votto also drew a base on balls which forced Cozart home to make it 5-3 for Cincinnati.
Travis Snider's pinch-hit double cut Pittsburgh's deficit to one in the eighth.
In the ninth, McCutchen reached on a dribbler to the left of the mound and took second on Chapman's errant throw. Pedro Alvarez was at first and McCutchen at third after Cozart botched a grounder, but Chapman bore down and retired the next three batters to lock up the one-run victory.
"Those guys, they battle until the end. We put up a big lead, and they never give up," said Reds catcher Devin Mesoraco of the Pirates. "They always come back on us. It was definitely a battle, but guys did their job, and we got through it."
After a 77-minute rain delay in the middle of the opening inning, the Reds dented Burnett for four runs thanks to a Jordy Mercer error which allowed Shin-Soo Choo to come home, an RBI single from Phillips, sacrifice fly from Cozart and run-scoring double by Mesoraco.
"We all have our routines, and that was nowhere close to it," groused Burnett.
Jones began the second with his ninth homer of the season, and later in the inning with runners on first and second, Clint Barmes scored when Cozart flubbed his throw to first on a Jose Tabata grounder.
"That's very uncharacteristic of our team, especially from Cozart. He just doesn't make any mistakes," said Baker.
Burnett killed a rally by fanning with the bases loaded and two down in the third, but McCutchen's two-out solo homer in the fourth brought the Bucs within 4-3.
Cincinnati's victory evened the season series at six wins apiece, with the hosts evening their home record at 3-3 against Pittsburgh this year ... The Pirates bullpen held the Reds hitless with one walk and five strikeouts in the final 2 1/3 innings ... Bengals defensive tackle Geno Atkins threw out the ceremonial first pitch.
- PITTSBURGH: 4
Jul 20 9:03 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Travis Snider double to left scored Jordy Mercer with two out. Runner on second and Jeanmar Gomez due up.
Pirates 4, Reds 5 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 20 8:30 PM
- Joey Votto walked Zack Cozart scored on the play with two out. Bases loaded and Brandon Phillips due up.
Pirates 3, Reds 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 20 7:55 PM
- Andrew McCutchen two-out, solo Home Run (12) to left center. Pedro Alvarez due up.
Pirates 3, Reds 4 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 20 6:59 PM
- Jose Tabata reached first on Zack Cozart's throwing error scoring Clint Barmes with two out. On the play, Starling Marte advances to third. Runners on first and third and Andrew McCutchen due up.
Pirates 2, Reds 4 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 20 6:13 PM
- Garrett Jones lead-off Home Run (9) to right. Jordy Mercer due up.
Pirates 1, Reds 4 Top 2, 0 OutsJul 20 5:58 PM
- Devin Mesoraco double to right scored Brandon Phillips with two out. On the play, Jack Hannahan advances to third. Runners on second and third and Mat Latos due up.
Pirates 0, Reds 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 20 5:50 PM
- Zack Cozart sacrifice fly out to center scored Joey Votto with two out. On the play, Brandon Phillips advances to third. Runners on first and third and Devin Mesoraco due up.
Pirates 0, Reds 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 20 5:49 PM
- Brandon Phillips single to right scored Chris Heisey with none out. On the play, Joey Votto advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jay Bruce due up.
Pirates 0, Reds 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsJul 20 5:42 PM
- Joey Votto reached first on Jordy Mercer's fielding error scoring Shin-Soo Choo with none out. On the play, Chris Heisey advances to third. Runners on first and third and Brandon Phillips due up.
Pirates 0, Reds 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJul 20 5:42 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 20 4:08 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21