Gallardo, Brewers shut out Marlins againJul 21, 2013 - 5:04 AM Milwaukee, WI (Sports Network) - It was a difficult first half of the season for Yovani Gallardo, but on Saturday, he started the second half with a very solid performance.
Gallardo allowed just five hits and two walks over 6 1/3 innings as the Milwaukee Brewers blanked the Miami Marlins, 6-0, in the middle test of a three-game series Saturday.
For the 27-year-old Gallardo (8-8), it was the first time he didn't allow a run since June 15 against the Reds. It was also just the fifth time he's pitched over six innings in 21 starts this season.
"Really nice job by the pitching staff," said Brewers manager Ron Roenicke. "Yovani had great command today. His curve was really good, as well as his fastball and slider. When we command the ball, we're really good."
Jonathan Lucroy went 4-for-4 with two RBI and was a triple short of the cycle. Ryan Braun also drove in two runs for the Brewers, who have won three straight.
Miami starter Nathan Eovaldi (2-1) struggled, lasting just four innings. He surrendered all six runs on 10 hits and a pair of walks.
The Marlins have been shut out in both games of this series and are on a three-game losing streak.
"In all honesty, I thought we came out flat, especially offensively," said Marlins manager Mike Redmond. "I know the guys are trying but nothing is going right now. We're getting shut down."
The Brewers struck early, scoring six runs over the first four innings.
Norichika Aoki and Jean Segura hit back-to-back singles to start the first and both scored on a double to center by Braun.
They had a chance to score more after Lucroy singled to right and Rickie Weeks drew a two-out walk, loading the bases. However, Jeff Bianchi struck out to end the inning.
In the third, Lucroy clubbed a solo shot to right. Giancarlo Stanton made an attempt to grab the ball, but it bounced off his glove and over the right field wall.
Milwaukee tacked on three more runs in the fourth. Weeks began the frame by hammering a 3-1 fastball to center. Bianchi ripped a double to left and scored on an Aoki base hit up the middle. Later in the inning, Lucroy delivered a two-out ground-rule double to center, plating Aoki.
The Marlins had opportunities to score in the sixth and seventh innings, but squandered both of them.
With the bases loaded and one out in the sixth, Logan Morrison grounded into a double play to end the inning.
Marcell Ozuna walked to start the seventh and got to third after Derek Dietrich singled and pinch-hitter Donovan Solano flew out to right. Brandon Kintzler came in relief for Gallardo and got Jeff Mathis to pop out and struck out Juan Pierre.
Donovan Hand, Michael Gonzalez and Burke Badenhop combined for a scoreless ninth.
The Brewers are 13-3 at home against the Marlins since 2009 ... Gallardo is 5-0 and has allowed just six earned runs over 48 1/3 innings in seven starts against Miami ... Lucroy is batting .345 over his last 46 games. He is also 10-for-18 with nine RBI against Miami this season ... The Marlins were 0-for-6 with runners in scoring position.
- MIAMI: 0
Jul 20 10:02 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy double to left center scored Norichika Aoki with two out. On the play, Jean Segura advances to third. Runners on second and third with Carlos Gomez due up.
Marlins 0, Brewers 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 20 8:35 PM
- Norichika Aoki singledto center scored Jeff Bianchi with one out. Runner on first and Jean Segura due up.
Marlins 0, Brewers 5 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 20 8:28 PM
- Rickie Weeks lead-off Home Run (10) to center. Jeff Bianchi due up.
Marlins 0, Brewers 4 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 20 8:22 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy one-out, solo Home Run (14) to right. Carlos Gomez due up.
Marlins 0, Brewers 3 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 20 8:10 PM
- Ryan Braun double to center scored Norichika Aoki and Jean Segura with none out. Runner on second and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Marlins 0, Brewers 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsJul 20 7:31 PM
- MIAMI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 20 7:12 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21