Fowler leads Rockies over CubsJul 21, 2013 - 6:17 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Dexter Fowler had three RBI and Juan Nicasio pitched five innings of one-run ball as the Colorado Rockies defeated the Chicago Cubs, 9-3, in the middle test of a three-game series at Coors Field.
Nicasio (6-4) allowed just three hits and a pair of walks but needed 93 pitches in his outing.
"He had to work hard early ... he didn't have his best command early," said Rockies manager Walt Weiss. "But the bottom of the line is, he gave up one run."
Troy Tulowitzki drove in two runs while Carlos Gonzalez had a home run for the Rockies. Todd Helton, Wilin Rosario and Nolan Arenado had an RBI apiece in the victory.
Luis Valbuena had a home run and two RBI while Nate Schierholtz drove in one run for the Cubs, who saw starter Carlos Villanueva (2-6) give up seven runs on nine hits and four walks in four-plus frames.
"I didn't really feel like myself out there," Villanueva admitted. "I tried to do some things different to see if I could give the team a chance to win but it didn't work again."
Valbuena got Chicago on the board with a solo shot in the third.
However, Colorado took the lead in the fourth. With one out, Helton singled and Rosario knocked a double to right. Arenado grounded out to first, but was able to bring Helton home.
After Nicasio walked, Fowler delivered a two-run triple to right, giving Colorado a 3-1 lead.
The Rockies weren't done yet, as they scored four more runs in the fifth.
Gonzalez crushed a 2-1 pitch to right center to begin the frame. After Tulowitzki and Michael Cuddyer hit back-to-back singles, Helton smacked an RBI single to right center.
Michael Bowden came in relief but gave up an RBI single to Rosario on just his second pitch. Later in the inning, Fowler plated Helton with a sacrifice fly to left, giving Colorado a six-run cushion.
The Cubs scored one run in both the sixth and seven innings.
Anthony Rizzo singled with one out in the sixth, reached third on a double by Alfonso Soriano, and scored on a ground out to first from Schierholtz.
In the seventh, Valbuena delivered a one-out single to right, scoring Darwin Barney, who singled to lead off and advanced to second on a passed ball.
However, the Rockies would once again have a six-run lead after Tulowitzki hit a two-run, two-out double in the bottom of the eighth.
Mitchell Boggs made his first Rockies appearance in the ninth. He loaded the bases with two outs, but got Starlin Castro to ground towards the shortstop to end the game.
Boggs was recalled from Double-A Tulsa prior to the game. He was traded from the St. Louis Cardinals in exchange for the Rockies' international signing bonus No. 4 on July 9 ... Soriano has 16 extra-base hit since June 28, most in the majors ... The Rockies hit 5-for-15 with runners in scoring position while the Cubs were 1-for-8 with RISP ... Colorado's Tyler Chatwood is scheduled to face Chicago's Edwin Jackson in Sunday's series finale.
- CHICAGO: 3
Jul 20 11:42 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki double to left scored Dexter Fowler and DJ LeMahieu. Runner on second with one out and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Cubs 3, Rockies 9 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 20 11:20 PM
- Luis Valbuena single to right scored Darwin Barney. On the play, Welington Castillo advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Starlin Castro due up.
Cubs 3, Rockies 7 Top 7, 1 OutJul 20 10:50 PM
- Nate Schierholtz ground out to first scored Anthony Rizzo. On the play, Alfonso Soriano advances to third. Runner on third with two out and Junior Lake due up.
Cubs 2, Rockies 7 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 20 10:24 PM
- Dexter Fowler sacrifice fly to left scored Todd Helton. Runners on first and second with two out and DJ LeMahieu due up.
Cubs 1, Rockies 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 20 10:13 PM
- Wilin Rosario single to center scored Michael Cuddyer. On the play, Todd Helton advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Nolan Arenado due up.
Cubs 1, Rockies 6 Bot 5, 0 OutsJul 20 10:05 PM
- Todd Helton single to right scored Troy Tulowitzki. On the play, Michael Cuddyer advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Wilin Rosario due up.
Cubs 1, Rockies 5 Bot 5, 0 OutsJul 20 10:01 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez lead-off Home Run (26) to right center. Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Cubs 1, Rockies 4 Bot 5, 0 OutsJul 20 9:55 PM
- Dexter Fowler triple to right scored Wilin Rosario and Juan Nicasio. Runner on third with two out and DJ LeMahieu due up.
Cubs 1, Rockies 3 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 20 9:43 PM
- Nolan Arenado ground out to first scored Todd Helton. On the play, Wilin Rosario advances to third. Runner on third with two out and Juan Nicasio due up.
Cubs 1, Rockies 1 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 20 9:35 PM
- Luis Valbuena one-out, solo Home Run (9) to right. Starlin Castro due up.
Cubs 1, Rockies 0 Top 3, 1 OutJul 20 9:03 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 20 8:13 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21