Rockies edge CubsJul 22, 2013 - 2:23 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Nolan Arenado hit the go-ahead single in the bottom of the sixth inning as the Colorado Rockies edged the Chicago Cubs, 4-3, in the rubber match of a three-game series at Coors Field.
With Edwin Jackson (6-11) pitching and the game tied at 2-2, Carlos Gonzalez drew a two-out walk and stole second base. Next was Michael Cuddyer, who was also walked. Gonzalez scored on Arenado's base hit to center and Cuddyer scored on a throwing error by center fielder Junior Lake.
Colorado starter Tyler Chatwood (6-3) gave up two runs -- one earned -- on seven hits and four walks over six innings. Rex Brothers allowed one run in the ninth but notched his fifth save.
"I think when I get in trouble is when I try to do too much rather than try to make my pitches like I was trying to do the whole day," said Chatwood. "Just go out there and try not to do too much. Just make your pitches and try not to be too fine."
Anthony Rizzo had a home run while Alfonso Soriano and Darwin Barney drove in one run apiece for the Cubs, who were 0-for-9 with runners in scoring position.
"We had guys on all day and we just didn't get that big hit," said Rizzo. "Hats off to them for making the pitches they needed to make but we just need to keep fighting and keep plugging away."
Jackson surrendered four runs -- three earned -- on five hits and a pair of walks in seven frames.
Colorado scored two runs in the first. Charlie Blackmon hit a ground rule double to left with one out. Gonzalez brought him home with a two-out single to left center and scored on a Michael Cuddyer double to right center.
The Cubs didn't have much success offensively, until the sixth. Rizzo led off with a solo shot to left. Nate Schierholtz delivered a one-out single and later scored on a sacrifice fly by Barney, tying the game at 2-2.
They had a chance to take the lead with two out and the bases loaded, but Jackson hit a grounder towards Troy Tulowitzki to end the inning.
In the ninth, Brothers gave up a leadoff double to Starlin Castro. Two batters later, Soriano grounded out but was able to score Castro to cut the deficit to one.
Pinch-hitter Cody Ransom drew a walk with two outs, but Brothers struck out Lake to end the game.
The Cubs were 1-for-24 with runners in scoring position this series and are 173-for-745 (.232) for the season ... Jordan Pacheco pinch-hit in the seventh inning, but grounded out in his only at-bat, ending a 10-game hitting streak ... Brothers has allowed two runs since the All-Star break. He allowed just four runs before the break, including 32 straight scoreless appearances from April 20-June 28.
- CHICAGO: 3
Jul 21 7:23 PM
- Alfonso Soriano grounded out short to first scoring Starlin Castro with two out. None on and Nate Schierholtz due up.
Cubs 3, Rockies 4 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 21 7:17 PM
- Nolan Arenado singled to center scoring Carlos Gonzalez with two out. On the play, Michael Cuddyer scored on Junior Lake's throwing error. Nolan Arenado advanced to second. Runner on second and Yorvit Torrealba due up.
Cubs 2, Rockies 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 21 6:11 PM
- Darwin Barney sacrifice fly to left scored Nate Schierholtz with two out. Runner on second and Welington Castillo due up.
Cubs 2, Rockies 2 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 21 5:50 PM
- Anthony Rizzo lead-off Home Run (14) to left. Alfonso Soriano due up.
Cubs 1, Rockies 2 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 21 5:42 PM
- Michael Cuddyer doubled to right scoring Carlos Gonzalez with two out. Runner on second and Nolan Arenado due up.
Cubs 0, Rockies 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 21 4:32 PM
- Carlos Gonzalez singled to left scoring Charlie Blackmon with two out. Runner on first and Michael Cuddyer due up.
Cubs 0, Rockies 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 21 4:31 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 21 4:11 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21