Hundley helps Padres top BrewersJul 24, 2013 - 6:08 AM Milwaukee, WI (Sports Network) - Nick Hundley's two-run home run in the sixth inning helped power the San Diego Padres to a 6-2 win over Milwaukee in the second portion of a four-game set.
Hundley went 3-for-4 with three RBI for the Padres, who have won four of their last six.
Tyson Ross (1-4) went six innings and only gave up one run on two hits to earn his first win of the season. The right-hander was recalled from Triple-A Tucson prior to the game to make his first start since April 17.
Donovan Hand (0-2) was the recipient of the loss after giving up two runs on seven hits before leaving the game with a right hand contusion. The right- hander was hit by a pitch in the third inning. He stayed in the game to pitch one more frame.
"Not bad, tomorrow we will see how it feels. It's swelling on the pinky side but nothing major. I just couldn't grip the ball anymore. I didn't want to do something different and hurt it more," said Hand on his right hand contusion.
Khris Davis belted a pinch-hit solo shot off Colt Hynes in the bottom of the eighth for his first career home run.
The scoring started in the first inning for the Padres when Yonder Alonso hit a single into the gap in left-center field to score Everth Cabrera from third.
The Brewers scored their only run of the game in the third inning. Jeff Bianchi stole second with no outs after singling to left field. Hand came up to bat next and got drilled by Ross on his right hand while trying to pull away from a bunt attempt. He remained in the game after rolling around on the ground in pain. Jedd Gyorko then made a great diving play and tossed the ball while on the ground to get Hand out at second. Norichika Aoki singled. Ross threw the ball past first baseman Alonso on a pickoff attempt which scored Bianchi to tie the game.
The Padres quickly regained the lead in the fourth inning when Will Venable hit a solo shot right down the left-field line.
Mark Kotsay singled to center before Hundley drove him in with a home run to left.
Kotsay and Hundley each hit an RBI single to make the score 6-1 in the seventh.
"Tonight was a lot of fun, it hasn't been a lot of fun lately. I tried to understand my role. It's a lot more fun to have success then to struggle. I don't think I've ever gone 0-for-25 in my career before," said Kotsay, who snapped his hitless streak in the second inning.
The Brewers, who have lost six of their last ten, were 0-for-8 with runners in scoring position and gave up 15 hits.
The Brewers traded reliever Francisco Rodriguez to the Baltimore Orioles in exchange for third baseman Nick Delmonico ... Davis was recalled from Nashville to take the roster spot of Ryan Braun, who was suspended for the remainder of the season on Monday ... Brewers shortstop Jean Segura's hitting streak ended at nine games while Alonso extended his road hitting streak to 14 games.
- SAN DIEGO: 6
Jul 23 11:14 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Khris Davis lead-off Home Run (1) to right. Norichika Aoki due up.
Padres 6, Brewers 2 Bot 8, 0 OutsJul 23 10:51 PM
- Nick Hundley single to right scored Will Venable. On the play, Mark Kotsay advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Tyson Ross due up.
Padres 6, Brewers 1 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 23 10:28 PM
- Mark Kotsay single to left scored Chase Headley. On the play, Will Venable advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Nick Hundley due up.
Padres 5, Brewers 1 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 23 10:24 PM
- Nick Hundley none-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left scored Mark Kotsay. Tyson Ross due up.
Padres 4, Brewers 1 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 23 10:00 PM
- Will Venable lead-off Home Run (12) to right. Mark Kotsay due up.
Padres 2, Brewers 1 Top 4, 0 OutsJul 23 9:22 PM
- Norichika Aoki advances to second on Tyson Ross's throwing error. On the play, Jeff Bianchi scores. Runner on second with one out and Logan Schafer at the plate.
Padres 1, Brewers 1 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 23 9:18 PM
- Yonder Alonso singled to left scored Everth Cabrera. Runner on first with two outs and Jedd Gyorko due up.
Padres 1, Brewers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 23 8:18 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 23 8:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22