Harper the hero after Nats blow ninth-inning leadJul 26, 2013 - 1:48 AM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - After blowing a four-run lead in the top of the ninth, the Washington Nationals got a two-run homer from Bryce Harper in the bottom half to take a 9-7 victory over the Pittsburgh Pirates.
The Pirates scored four runs off Rafael Soriano in the ninth to tie the contest at seven. Pittsburgh then sent Bryan Morris (4-4) to the mound in the home half. Roger Bernadina reached base on a fielder's choice before Harper's two-out homer to center.
"I was happy to get the 'W' today. We needed it," Harper said. "Hopefully this carries on."
Harper's homer gave Ian Krol (1-0) his first victory in the big leagues. Krol recorded the final two outs in the ninth to pick up the win. Washington starter Gio Gonzalez allowed three runs on eight hits while striking out 11 over 5 2/3 innings.
Ryan Zimmerman and Steve Lombardozzi each went 3-for-5 with an RBI for Washington, which snapped a six-game skid. Adam LaRoche knocked in two runs.
Josh Harrison went 3-for-5 with a two-run homer and four RBI for the Pirates, who had a four-game winning streak stopped. Russell Martin, Jordy Mercer and A.J. Burnett each knocked in a run.
Burnett got the start for Pittsburgh and gave up four runs -- one earned -- on nine hits over seven innings.
Holding a 7-3 lead, Washington sent Soriano to the mound to start the ninth. Pinch-hitter Neil Walker and Starling Marte worked back-to-back walks before Mercer's RBI double to left-center field. Marte scored on Martin's base hit to left two batters later.
Krol came in from the bullpen and immediately walked Pedro Alvarez to load the bases. After pinch-hitter Jose Tabata struck out swinging for the second out, Harrison hit a two-run single up the middle to tie the game.
However, Morris was unable to extend the contest in the bottom half.
The Nationals took advantage of three Pittsburgh errors in the first inning to grab an early 4-0 lead. Harper, who was hit by a pitch, was caught in a rundown between second and third following Lombardozzi's bunt single. Alvarez's missed catch error allowed Harper to round third and score.
"Those are mistakes that happen," Burnett said. "We all turned the page quickly."
Zimmerman followed with an RBI single to right and scored on a two-out single by Denard Span, with another runner scoring on Gaby Sanchez's throwing error.
The Pirates got on the board in the fourth. Sanchez singled, advanced to third on Clint Barmes' double and scored on Burnett's groundout.
Harrison's two-run homer in the sixth cut the gap to 4-3.
Washington tacked on three more runs in the eighth. Bernadina walked and Harper singled to put men on the corners with one out. Lombardozzi followed with an RBI ground-rule double to left. Two batters later, LaRoche hit a two- run triple to right past a diving Travis Snider, making it a 7-3 game.
The Pirates went 4-3 against the Nationals this season ... Pittsburgh was trying to complete a four-game road sweep of the Nationals/Expos franchise for the first time since June 23-26, 1988 in Montreal ... Nationals manager Davey Johnson was ejected in the fifth inning for arguing balls and strikes with home plate umpire Mike Winters ... Pirates manager Clint Hurdle was ejected in the seventh by first base umpire Laz Diaz.
- PITTSBURGH: 7
Jul 25 4:21 PM
- Bryce Harper two-out, two-run Home Run (14) to center scored Roger Bernadina to end the game.
Pirates 7, Nationals 9 Bot 9, 2 OutsJul 25 4:16 PM
- Josh Harrison singled to center scored Jordy Mercer and Russell Martin. On the play, Pedro Alvarez advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Garrett Jones due up.
Pirates 7, Nationals 7 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 25 4:04 PM
- Russell Martin singled to left scoring Starling Marte. On the play, Jordy Mercer advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Pedro Alvarez due up.
Pirates 5, Nationals 7 Top 9, 1 OutJul 25 3:54 PM
- Jordy Mercer doubled to left center scoring Neil Walker. On the play, Starling Marte advances to third. Runners on second and third with none out and Andrew McCutchen due up.
Pirates 4, Nationals 7 Top 9, 0 OutsJul 25 3:49 PM
- Adam LaRoche tripled to right scoring Bryce Harper and Steve Lombardozzi. Runner on third with two outs and Jayson Werth due up.
Pirates 3, Nationals 7 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 25 3:31 PM
- Steve Lombardozzi hit a ground-rule double to left scoring Roger Bernadina. On the play, Bryce Harper advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Ryan Zimmerman due up.
Pirates 3, Nationals 5 Bot 8, 1 OutJul 25 3:26 PM
- Josh Harrison none-out, two-run Home Run (1) to center scored Gaby Sanchez. Clint Barmes due up.
Pirates 3, Nationals 4 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 25 2:28 PM
- A.J. Burnett grounded out to first scoring Gaby Sanchez. On the play, Clint Barmes advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Starling Marte due up.
Pirates 1, Nationals 4 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 25 1:50 PM
- Denard Span singled to right scoring Ryan Zimmerman. On the play, Gaby Sanchez' throwing error scored Ian Desmond. Runner on second with two outs and Kurt Suzuki due up.
Pirates 0, Nationals 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 25 1:04 PM
- Ryan Zimmerman singled to right scored Steve Lombardozzi. Runner on first with none out and Adam LaRoche due up.
Pirates 0, Nationals 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsJul 25 12:56 PM
- Steve Lombardozzi bunt singled to catcher. On the play, Clint Barmes' throwing error scored Bryce Harper. Runner on second with none out and Ryan Zimmerman due up.
Pirates 0, Nationals 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJul 25 12:54 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 25 12:36 PM
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21