Latos backs Reds over DodgersJul 26, 2013 - 5:35 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Mat Latos' stellar outing as well as home runs by Jay Bruce and Xavier Paul helped the Cincinnati Reds snap the Los Angeles Dodgers' six-game winning streak with a 5-2 decision in the opener of a four-game series.
Bruce launched a two-run homer and Paul added a solo shot against Zack Greinke (8-3), who suffered his first career loss at Dodger Stadium and had his five- decision winning streak snapped.
Latos (10-3) had the Dodgers on their heels over 7 2/3 innings, scattering eight hits and striking out four while allowing two runs -- one earned -- in his first win in six starts at Chavez Ravine.
The Reds improved to 4-1 on their 11-game road trip and beat a pitcher that had not lost since June 16, was 4-0 lifetime against them and had given up just one run over his previous 22 innings.
All that changed Thursday, as Greinke was touched for four runs on six hits and a walk over seven innings of work.
Paul took a fastball over the wall in right-center in the first inning, and Todd Frazier doubled and scored on Cesar Izturis' two-out single to give the Reds a 2-0 lead in the second.
The Dodgers' first run came as a result of Yasiel Puig's aggressive baserunning. The rookie phenom hit a single to center field, and Shin-Soo Choo threw behind him at first, only to have his throw bounce into the stands.
Puig advanced to third and scored on an Adrian Gonzalez groundout, but that was all the hosts could manager against Latos until the eighth.
Greinke, who was in search of his 100th career win, made a nice play to double-up Joey Votto in the sixth inning, but immediately hit Brandon Phillips, threw a wild pitch and coughed up a home-run ball to Bruce, who muscled it into the bleachers in left-center.
Los Angeles, which went 0-for-9 with runners in scoring position, got a run back in the eighth on another Gonzalez groundout, this one brining home Carl Crawford following his leadoff double.
Manny Parra recorded the final out of the eighth behind Latos, and Choo added an insurance run in the ninth with an RBI base hit up the middle off Carlos Marmol.
Aroldis Chapman worked around a single and a walk in the ninth to pick up his 24th save.
Votto went 2-for-4 and has reached base safely in 37 straight games, the third longest streak in the majors this year ... Dodgers shortstop Hanley Ramirez extended his on-base streak to 33 games with a single in the fourth ... Greinke came in 6-0 with a 2.09 ERA in eight career starts at Dodger Stadium ... The Dodgers were looking for their longest winning streak since a nine- game run from May 9-18, 2010. They had scored eight or more runs in four consecutive games.
- CINCINNATI: 5
LOS ANGELES: 2
Jul 26 1:21 AM
- Shin-Soo Choo single to center scored Devin Mesoraco with two out. On the play, Jack Hannahan advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Chris Heisey due up.
Reds 5, Dodgers 2 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 26 1:03 AM
- Adrian Gonzalez groundout to first scored Carl Crawford with two out. None on with two outs and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Reds 4, Dodgers 2 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 26 12:43 AM
- Jay Bruce two-out, two-run Home Run (21) to left center scored Brandon Phillips. Todd Frazier due up.
Reds 4, Dodgers 1 Top 6, 2 OutsJul 25 11:53 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez groundout to second scored Yasiel Puig with one out. None on with one out and Hanley Ramirez due up.
Reds 2, Dodgers 1 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 25 11:14 PM
- Cesar Izturis single to left scored Todd Frazier with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Mat Latos due up.
Reds 2, Dodgers 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 25 10:38 PM
- Xavier Paul one-out, solo Home Run (6) to right center. Joey Votto due up.
Reds 1, Dodgers 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 25 10:12 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 25 10:11 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22