Padres hold on, take three of four from BrewersJul 26, 2013 - 12:06 AM Milwaukee, WI (Sports Network) - The San Diego Padres tattooed Yovani Gallardo for six runs and despite a shaky effort from the bullpen, held on for a 10-8 win over the Milwaukee Brewers in the finale of a four-game set at Miller Park.
San Diego had a seven-run lead cut down to two in the seventh inning, but stranded runners at second and third after Luke Gregerson struck out Rickie Weeks and Will Venable made a phenomenal diving catch on Norichika Aoki's sinking line drive.
"It's sort of unfair to Will (Venable) but we expect him to make those plays," said Padres manager Bud Black. "It was a hell of a catch. Today's was a game- saver, no doubt about it. That's an awesome play."
Carlos Quentin homered and knocked in three runs, Yonder Alonso went 2-for-5 with two RBI and Alexei Amarista had three hits with an RBI as the Padres took three of the four games in the set.
Edinson Volquez (8-8) picked up the win with 5 1/3 innings of work. He allowed three runs on six hits and three walks.
The Brewers, who were coming off a sweep of the Miami Marlins, received only 3 2/3 innings out of Gallardo (8-9). The righty gave up eight hits and three walks.
"He didn't have his game going for him today," said Brewers manager Ron Roenicke about Gallardo. "The key for him is his consistency and he just didn't have it today."
The Padres appeared to distance themselves when they took a 10-3 lead after scoring four runs in the top half of the seventh, but the Brewers answered back with five runs in bottom half.
Nick Vincent took the mound for San Diego and promptly served up a leadoff homer to Aoki. He then allowed three consecutive one-out singles, with Juan Francisco's hit driving in a run to make it 10-5.
Gregerson relieved Vincent and surrendered a run-scoring hit to Yuniesky Betancourt before Caleb Gindl ripped a two-run double off him to make it a two-run game.
Weeks, who killed a sixth inning rally by hitting into an inning-ending double-play with the bases loaded, struck out swinging with two runners in scoring position. Aoki then looked to tie the game when he ripped a shot off reliever Joe Thatcher to center, but Venable sprinted in and potentially saved the game for the Padres with a tremendous catch.
"I caught the ball and saved the runs, that's all I cared about," said Venable. "I don't care where it ranks on my list of catches."
The teams went scoreless the last two innings and Huston Street worked a scoreless ninth to notch his 18th save.
Quentin made his first two at-bats of the day productive ones, driving in a run with a sacrifice fly in the first inning and then crushing a two-run homer to center in the third to stake the Padres to a 3-0 lead.
Alonso doubled after the home run, and two batters later, Amarista lined a two-out single to left for a 4-0 edge.
Gallardo's day on the mound ended before he could get out of the fourth. He walked three batters in the frame, and Alonso sent him to the showers with a two-run single to center.
Betancourt homered in the fourth, and the Brewers received another solo shot from Carlos Gomez and a one-out RBI single from pinch-hitter Logan Schafer in the sixth. The frame ended abruptly, however, on Weeks' double-play ball.
Volquez is 5-0 over his last 10 road starts ... Quentin, Venable and Rene Rivera each had two hits for San Diego ... The Brewers were 4-for-10 with runners in scoring position ... Milwaukee optioned first baseman Sean Haltom to Triple-A Nashville and selected the contract of pitcher Rob Wooten.
- SAN DIEGO: 10
Jul 25 6:07 PM
- Caleb Gindl doubled to left scored Juan Francisco and Yuniesky Betancourt. Runner on second with one out and Michael Gonzalez due up.
Padres 10, Brewers 8 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 25 5:24 PM
- Yuniesky Betancourt infield single to pitcher scored Carlos Gomez. On the play, Juan Francisco advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Caleb Gindl due up.
Padres 10, Brewers 6 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 25 5:22 PM
- Juan Francisco singled to center scored Jonathan Lucroy. On the play, Carlos Gomez advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Padres 10, Brewers 5 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 25 5:17 PM
- Norichika Aoki lead-off Home Run (5) to right. Jean Segura due up.
Padres 10, Brewers 4 Bot 7, 0 OutsJul 25 5:07 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jesus Guzman one-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left scored Rene Rivera. Everth Cabrera due up.
Padres 10, Brewers 3 Top 7, 1 OutJul 25 5:02 PM
- Rene Rivera singled to left scored Alexi Amarista. Runner on first with one out and Dale Thayer due up.
Padres 8, Brewers 3 Top 7, 1 OutJul 25 5:01 PM
- Alexi Amarista bunt single to third. On the play, Yuniesky Betancourt's thorwing error scored Will Venable. Runner on first with none out and Chris Denorfia due up.
Padres 7, Brewers 3 Top 7, 0 OutsJul 25 4:59 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Logan Schafer singled to center scored Juan Francisco. On the play, Caleb Gindl advances to second and Yuniesky Betancourt advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Rickie Weeks due up.
Padres 6, Brewers 3 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 25 4:48 PM
- Carlos Gomez one-out, solo Home Run (16) to left. Juan Francisco due up.
Padres 6, Brewers 2 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 25 4:33 PM
- Yuniesky Betancourt one-out, solo Home Run (10) to left. Caleb Gindl due up.
Padres 6, Brewers 1 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 25 3:54 PM
- Yonder Alonso singled to center scored Rene Rivera and Everth Cabrera. On the play, Carlos Quentin advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Will Venable due up.
Padres 6, Brewers 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 25 3:42 PM
- Alexi Amarista singled to left scored Yonder Alonso. Runner on first with two outs and Chris Denorfia due up.
Padres 4, Brewers 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 25 3:08 PM
- Carlos Quentin one-out, two-run Home Run (13) to left center scored Everth Cabrera. Yonder Alonso due up.
Padres 3, Brewers 0 Top 3, 1 OutJul 25 2:59 PM
- Carlos Quentin sacrifice fly out to left scored Everth Cabrera. Runner on first with one out and Yonder Alonso due up.
Padres 1, Brewers 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 25 2:16 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 25 2:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22