Zimmerman's HR in 9th earns Nats split of DHJul 27, 2013 - 6:00 AM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Ryan Zimmerman hit the game-winning home run in the bottom of the ninth inning and the Washington Nationals split a day/night doubleheader against the New York Mets with a 2-1 victory.
With LaTroy Hawkins (3-2) pitching for the Mets, Anthony Rendon grounded out to lead off the ninth. Next was Zimmerman, who clubbed a 3-1 fastball over the right field wall to give the Nationals just their second win in the last nine games.
"Just worked into a good count and tried to not do too much," said Zimmerman. "Good win. Obviously, with Harvey starting, it's tough to get any runs but Ohlendorf stuck there right with him and after the way that first game went, it was a huge win."
Both of those have come in walk-off fashion with Bryce Harper hitting a two- run homer Thursday in a 9-7 victory over the Pirates.
Rafael Soriano (2-2) escaped troubled in the top of the inning to pick up the win. Andrew Brown hit a one-out double and advanced to third on a wild pitch. Ike Davis walked, putting runners at the corners, but Soriano retired Juan Lagares and Daniel Murphy.
Nationals starter Ross Ohlendorf allowed one run on six hits and a pair of walks over seven innings. He had a season-high eight strikeouts.
On the one-year anniversary of his major league debut, Matt Harvey pitched eight innings, allowing one unearned run on five hits while striking out seven and walking one for the Mets, who won the opener, 11-0 behind a 4-for-5, two- homer, five-RBI performance from Murphy.
"I was locating everything pretty well. Fastball command was right on point, just keeping everything down ... stayed pretty much on track with (John) Buck the whole game and he did a tremendous job."
The Mets got on the board in the fourth. Josh Satin knocked a double to right with one out and scored on John Buck's two-out double to left.
The Nationals tied the game in the fifth. Jayson Werth hit a leadoff single and Ian Desmond walked. After Steve Lombardozzi struck out, Wilson Ramos grounded into a fielder's choice towards Mets shortstop Justin Turner. Desmond was forced out at second, but Murphy's attempt to turn a double play was off the mark and hit Ramos' leg, allowing Werth to score.
"Misplayed the only ball that really mattered all night," said Murphy. "Harvey threw the ball well in the twin ... everybody did what they were supposed to do except for me, so it's a tough one to swallow right there. It stinks."
Harvey has 11 starts where he's pitched seven or more innings and allowed one or fewer runs, most in the majors ... Murphy went 6-for-10 in the doubleheader and is 13-for-25 over his last six games ... Buck has 14 RBI in his last 12 games ... The Mets hit 1-for-9 with runners in scoring position and left 10 runners on base... Zimmerman is 8-for-16 over his last three games ... The Nationals are 11-2 in one-run games against the Mets since the beginning of 2011 ... Turner left the game with an injured shoulder ... Washington's Dan Haren is scheduled to face New York's Dillon Gee on Saturday.
- NEW YORK: 1
Jul 26 10:02 PM
- Ryan Zimmerman one-out, solo Home Run (12) to right center to end the game.
Mets 1, Nationals 2 Bot 9, 1 OutJul 26 10:00 PM
- Wilson Ramos grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second. Ian Desmond out at second. On the play, Daniel Murphy's throwing error scored Jayson Werth. Runner on first with two outs and Ross Ohlendorf due up.
Mets 1, Nationals 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 26 8:39 PM
- John Buck doubled to left scoring Josh Satin. Runner on second with two outs and Andrew Brown due up.
Mets 1, Nationals 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 26 8:06 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 26 7:06 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21