Delgado spins first career shutout, D'backs crush PadresJul 27, 2013 - 7:28 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Randall Delgado spun a three-hit shutout Friday, as the Arizona Diamondbacks routed the San Diego Padres, 10-0, in the opener of a three-game set at Chase Field.
Delgado (3-3) struck out three and walked just one over his efficient outing, needing exactly 100 pitches to notch his first career shutout. The 23-year-old right-hander added a pair of hits at the plate, becoming the first Arizona pitcher to toss a shutout and notch a multi-hit game since Randy Johnson in 2003.
"He was in total command tonight," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said of Delgado. "He's been really good and he's kind of been building up to this; he's just got some good stuff."
Cliff Pennington and Martin Prado collected three hits and an RBI apiece, while A.J. Pollock, Aaron Hill and Cody Ross each plated a pair of runs and scored once for the Diamondbacks, who have won two straight and three of their last four.
San Diego starter Eric Stults (8-9) had a forgettable outing, surrendering seven runs -- five earned -- on 11 hits over five frames to absorb the loss.
"I didn't give us a chance to win from the start," Stults admitted.
Chase Headley doubled for the lone extra-base hit of the game for the Padres, who had won three of their last four games coming into the contest.
Arizona pushed two runs across in each of its first three at-bats against Stults to jump out to an early advantage.
Pollock led off with a single before Hill followed with a double to make it 1-0. After Paul Goldschmidt fanned, Prado singled home Hill.
Pennington got things started in the second with a one-out single before Delgado put down a bunt. Stults quickly fielded the ball, but fired wildly to first, allowing Pennington to score for a 3-0 lead.
After Pollock flied out, Hill doubled for the second straight at-bat to push the margin to 4-0.
Arizona added two more runs in the third, as Prado clubbed a leadoff double, moved to third on a groundout, and score on Wil Nieves' single up the middle. After a Gerardo Parra's fielder's choice, Pennington scorched a double off the left-field wall to score Parra from first for a 6-0 lead.
Ross smacked a two-out single in the fourth to score Eric Chavez, who clubbed a one-out double to move into scoring position.
Parra kept the shutout intact in the seventh when he made a leaping grab at the right-field wall to rob Will Venable of a potential home run.
The D'backs then tacked on three more runs in the home half, starting with Ross' leadoff blast off the left-field foul pole.
Pollock capped the inning with a two-run single to account for the final margin.
Hill left the game with a tight right hamstring after just two innings ... Arizona went 6-for-18 with runners in scoring position and left nine on base ... San Diego finished 0-for-3 with RISP and stranded four baserunners.
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Jul 27 12:10 AM
- A.J. Pollock single to left scored Wil Nieves and Cliff Pennington with one out. On the play, Randall Delgado advances to second. Runners on first and second and Eric Chavez due up.
Padres 0, Diamondbacks 10 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 26 11:44 PM
- Cody Ross lead-off Home Run (6) to left. Wil Nieves due up.
Padres 0, Diamondbacks 8 Bot 7, 0 OutsJul 26 11:38 PM
- Cody Ross single to center scored Eric Chavez with two out. On the play, Martin Prado advances to third. Runners on first and third and Wil Nieves due up.
Padres 0, Diamondbacks 7 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 26 11:01 PM
- Cliff Pennington double to left scored Gerardo Parra with two out. Runner on second and Randall Delgado due up.
Padres 0, Diamondbacks 6 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 26 10:37 PM
- Wil Nieves single to center scored Martin Prado with one out. Runner on first and Gerardo Parra due up.
Padres 0, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 26 10:34 PM
- Aaron Hill double to center scored Randall Delgado with two out. Runner on second and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Padres 0, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 26 10:18 PM
- Randall Delgado sacrificed, reached second on Nick Hundley's throwing error scored Cliff Pennington with one out. Runner on second and A.J. Pollock due up.
Padres 0, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 26 10:15 PM
- Martin Prado single to center scored Aaron Hill with one out. Runner on first and Cody Ross due up.
Padres 0, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 26 9:58 PM
- Aaron Hill double to center scored A.J. Pollock with none out. Runner on second and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Padres 0, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJul 26 9:54 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 26 9:41 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21