Ryu dominant as Dodgers beat RedsJul 28, 2013 - 4:35 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Hyun-Jin Ryu spun seven innings of one-run ball to guide the Los Angeles Dodgers to a 4-1 win over the Cincinnati Reds in the third of a four-game set from Chavez Ravine.
Ryu (9-3) scattered two hits and a walk while fanning nine to earn his third straight winning decision. Over his last nine home starts, Ryu is 5-0 with a 1.89 earned run average.
"This is the best he's been over his last few games. You saw from the first batter he was very serious tonight. He had something extra on his heater and he had a good change-up," Dodgers catcher A.J. Ellis said of Ryu.
Skip Schumaker hit a two-run homer while Adrian Gonzalez and Hanley Ramirez added one RBI apiece for the Dodgers, who have gone 25-6 since June 21 and sit 1 1/2 games ahead of the Arizona Diamondbacks atop the NL West standings.
Kenley Jansen worked a perfect ninth inning to pick up his 14th save of the season.
Jay Bruce provided the only offense for the Reds with a homer in the second inning.
Bronson Arroyo (9-8) gave up three runs on eight hits over 5 1/3 innings to absorb the loss.
"It was a battle, even warming up in the bullpen. I fell behind a lot in counts. If I would have made it to the sixth I would have been happy, but I didn't," said Arroyo.
The Dodgers jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the first. Yasiel Puig walked, moved to second on a Gonzalez flyout before stealing third. Ramirez then laced a double to right-center to push Puig across.
Bruce hammered a 2-0 fastball in the second over the wall in right field to tie the game.
Los Angeles took the lead for good in the fifth inning. Mark Ellis opened the frame with a single, and following a Ryu sacrifice bunt, Schumaker smacked a homer to center to give the hosts a 3-1 lead.
Gonzalez added an RBI single to score Schumaker in the seventh to account for the final margin.
Ramirez and Ellis have each hit safely in nine straight games ...Puig went 2- for-3 with a run scored ... Cincinnati has dropped three of its last five games ... Arroyo lost for the first time since July 7.
- CINCINNATI: 1
LOS ANGELES: 4
Jul 27 11:49 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez single to center scored Skip Schumaker with two out. On the play, Adrian Gonzalez tug out trying to advance to second to end the inning.
Reds 1, Dodgers 4 End 7Jul 27 11:25 PM
- Skip Schumaker one-out, two-run Home Run (2) to center scored Mark Ellis. Yasiel Puig due up.
Reds 1, Dodgers 3 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 27 10:40 PM
- Jay Bruce lead-off Home Run (22) to right. Todd Frazier due up.
Reds 1, Dodgers 1 Top 2, 0 OutsJul 27 9:38 PM
- Hanley Ramirez double to center scored Yasiel Puig with two out. Runner on second and Andre Ethier due up.
Reds 0, Dodgers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 27 9:30 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 27 9:12 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22