McKenry helps Pirates best MarlinsJul 28, 2013 - 4:32 AM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Michael McKenry finished 4-for-5 with two RBI to help lift the Pittsburgh Pirates over the Miami Marlins, 7-4, in the middle contest of a three-game set on Saturday.
Neil Walker collected three hits, two of which were doubles, with two RBI and scored twice while Garrett Jones drove in two runs as well for the Pirates, who snapped a two-game skid.
Charlie Morton (3-2) was charged for four runs -- three earned -- on nine hits with six strikeouts over five innings to earn the victory.
Tom Koehler (2-6) was tagged for five runs on nine hits with three walks in five frames. He remains winless at Marlins Park with an 0-5 record in 13 games, including six starts, since breaking into the majors last year.
"It was one of those nights where he was grinding from the start," Marlins manager Mike Redmond said of his starter.
Logan Morrison and Giancarlo Stanton each went 3-for-4 with an RBI while Placido Polanco and Donovan Solano each drove in a run for the Marlins, who lost for just the second time in their last six games.
Back-to-back doubles to left to start the game from Starling Marte and Walker got the Pirates on the board. Walker stood on third with two outs before Jones drove him in with the third double of the inning to left. McKenry ripped a base hit to left to make it 3-0.
"I felt good at the plate," McKenry said. "It was fun."
The Marlins got a run back in the home half when Solano smacked a two-out base hit to right with runners on the corners.
Walker and Andrew McCutchen had base hits to begin the third inning. With runners on the corners and one away, Jones and McKenry each delivered RBI singles through the right side of the infield for a four-run cushion.
After a McCutchen fielding error put a man on second in the third, Stanton had an RBI double and Morrison's single plated Stanton. Polanco drove in Morrison from third with a two-out base hit to right to cut the deficit to one.
Marte began the sixth with a single up the middle and crossed the plate on a Walker line-drive double to right to make it a 6-4 game.
The Pirates tacked on a run in the eighth on a Pedro Alvarez single after McCutchen tripled to left with two outs.
Mark Melancon secured his fourth save of the season in the ninth when he stranded Stanton on second by getting Morrison to ground out to end the game.
Pirates shortstop Jordy Mercer snapped a career-high 11-game hitting streak, going 0-for-3 ... The Pirates have struck out 49 times over the last four games ... Miami has won 14 of the last 20 encounters with the Pirates ... Pittsburgh finished 6-for-17 with runners in scoring position, while Miami went 4-for-11 ... Koehler snapped a streak of six games where Miami's starters had gone at least six innings and allowed no more than two runs.
- PITTSBURGH: 7
Jul 27 10:28 PM
- Pedro Alvarez single to left scored Andrew McCutchen with two outs. Runner on first and Bryan Morris due up.
Pirates 7, Marlins 4 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 27 9:54 PM
- Neil Walker double to right scored Starling Marte with none out. Runner on second and Andrew McCutchen due up.
Pirates 6, Marlins 4 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 27 9:10 PM
- Placido Polanco single to right scored Logan Morrison with two outs. Runner on first and Jake Marisnick due up.
Pirates 5, Marlins 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 27 8:20 PM
- Logan Morrison single to left scored Giancarlo Stanton with one out. On the play, Logan Morrison advanced to second on Starling Marte's throwing error. Runner on second and Donovan Solano due up.
Pirates 5, Marlins 3 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 27 8:18 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton double to left scored Christian Yelich with one out. Runner on second and Logan Morrison due up.
Pirates 5, Marlins 2 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 27 8:16 PM
- Michael McKenry single to right scored Pedro Alvarez with one out. On the play, Garrett Jones advances to second. Runners on first and second and Travis Snider due up.
Pirates 5, Marlins 1 Top 3, 1 OutJul 27 8:03 PM
- Garrett Jones single to second scored Neil Walker with one out. On the play, Pedro Alvarez advances to second. Runners on first and second and Michael McKenry due up.
Pirates 4, Marlins 1 Top 3, 1 OutJul 27 8:02 PM
- Donovan Solano single to right scored Christian Yelich with two outs. On the play, Logan Morrison advances to third. Runners on first and third and Placido Polanco due up.
Pirates 3, Marlins 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 27 7:34 PM
- Michael McKenry single to left scored Garrett Jones with two outs. Runner on first and Travis Snider due up.
Pirates 3, Marlins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 27 7:23 PM
- Garrett Jones double to left scored Neil Walker with two outs. Runner on second and Michael McKenry due up.
Pirates 2, Marlins 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 27 7:20 PM
- Neil Walker double to left scored Starling Marte with none out. Runner on second and Andrew McCutchen due up.
Pirates 1, Marlins 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJul 27 7:14 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 27 7:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21