Fernandez fans 13 as Marlins edge PiratesJul 29, 2013 - 12:06 AM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Jose Fernandez was dealing, as he struck out a career-high 13 batters to help the Miami Marlins edge the Pittsburgh Pirates, 3-2, in the rubber match of a three-game series.
Fernandez (7-5) threw a 97-pitch gem, allowing just two runs on five hits without a walk over eight stellar innings. The 13 strikeouts set a new Marlins rookie record.
"I was really moving out there with the strikeouts, it was really amazing," said Fernandez. "Every time I pitch here the crowd's support is amazing."
Giancarlo Stanton continued his recent offensive surge, going 2-for-3 with a solo homer that put Miami ahead in the sixth. Ed Lucas and Donovan Solano each added an RBI for the Marlins, winners in three of their last four contests.
Gerrit Cole (6-3) had an impressive outing himself but just caught fellow rookie Fernandez on the wrong day. He yielded three runs on four hits and two walks while fanning eight in seven frames
Russell Martin and Clint Barmes each drove in a run for the Pirates, who ended their 10-game road trip with a .500 record.
"We're not satisfied, we wanted more," said Pirates manager Clint Hurdle about the roadtrip. "It was a challenging trip out, we'll take the .500 and move on."
The Pirates opened the scoring in the second when Martin connected on an RBI double to the left-center field wall to plate Pedro Alvarez, who reached on a base hit. After stealing third, scored on a Barmes two-out single to center.
After Stanton walked and Logan Morrison singled in the fourth, Lucas delivered a base hit past the glove of diving first baseman Gaby Sanchez to score Stanton. Solano's sac fly to center tied the game at 2-2.
Stanton crushed a first-pitch fastball to deep center to give the Marlins a 3-2 advantage in the sixth.
Fernandez, itching for his first career complete-game, handed the ball over to Steve Cishek in the ninth. He had runners on first and second but was able to get Garrett Jones to ground out to secure the victory and earn his 22nd save of the year.
Prior to the game, Pittsburgh placed outfielder Travis Snider on the 15-day disabled list and recalled catcher Tony Sanchez from Triple-A Indianapolis ... Fernandez's 13 strikeouts are tied for fifth-most in team history ... The Pirates have struck out 62 times over the last five games ... Miami has won 15 of the last 21 encounters with Pittsburgh ... Fernandez hasn't allowed more than three runs in 10 starts since June 1 ... Pittsburgh went 1-for-4 with runners in scoring position.
- PITTSBURGH: 2
Jul 28 3:21 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton one-out, solo Home Run (13) to left center. Logan Morrison due up.
Pirates 2, Marlins 3 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 28 2:32 PM
- Donovan Solano sacrifice fly to center scored Logan Morrison with two out. On the play, Ed Lucas advances to second. Runner on second and Jake Marisnick due up.
Pirates 2, Marlins 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 28 2:10 PM
- Ed Lucas single to right scored Giancarlo Stanton with one out. On the play, Logan Morrison advances to third. Runners on first and third and Donovan Solano due up.
Pirates 2, Marlins 1 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 28 2:08 PM
- Clint Barmes single to center scored Russell Martin with two out. Runner on first and Gerrit Cole due up.
Pirates 2, Marlins 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 28 1:28 PM
- Russell Martin double to left scored Pedro Alvarez with none out. Runner on second and Garrett Jones due up.
Pirates 1, Marlins 0 Top 2, 0 OutsJul 28 1:24 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 28 1:10 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21