Padres' Ross outduels CorbinJul 29, 2013 - 5:52 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Tyson Ross tossed eight scoreless innings and Carlos Quentin's first-inning RBI single was the difference, as the San Diego Padres blanked the Arizona Diamondbacks, 1-0, in the rubber match of a three- game set at Chase Field.
In the best outing of his young career, Ross (2-4) scattered just three hits and walked one while fanning seven. After not earning a win in his first three starts, Ross has won two straight.
"An outstanding pitching performance," said Padres manager Bud Black of Ross. "Consistent arm slot, consistent release point, consistent finish. I thought today was a steady diet of very good pitches."
Huston Street pitched a 1-2-3 ninth inning to secure the series and collect his 19th save of the season.
Chase Headley had a triple and scored the lone run for the Padres, winners in five of their last seven contests.
It isn't very often Patrick Corbin (12-2) gets outpitched but that was the case on Sunday. He threw eight solid innings, allowing just the one run on six hits while striking out eight in his first home loss this year.
"He made it difficult for all of us out there," said Corbin about Ross' performance. "He's capable of doing that every time."
Headley tripled with two outs in the first and the Padres managed a quick run on an RBI single to left from Quentin for all the support Ross required.
Arizona had two quality chances to put runs on the board.
The Diamondbacks wasted a leadoff triple from Cliff Pennington in the third. Corbin's flyout wasn't deep enough, while Adam Eaton grounded out and Aaron Hill struck out.
A.J. Pollock reached second in the fifth, but Ross struck out Pennington and Corbin to escape the inning unscathed.
Prior to the game, Arizona recalled pitcher Chaz Roe from Triple-A Reno ... Headley has reached base in 22 consecutive games ... Padres are 8-4 against the D'backs this season ... Corbin has allowed one run or less in four straight starts.
- SAN DIEGO: 1
Jul 28 6:25 PM
- Carlos Quentin singled to left scoring Chase Headley with two out. Runner on first and Jesus Guzman due up.
Padres 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 28 4:17 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 28 4:11 PM
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21