Brewers use five-run ninth to beat CubsJul 30, 2013 - 3:36 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Carlos Gomez singled in the game's first run in the ninth inning and Jeff Bianchi and Rickie Weeks added two-run doubles in Milwaukee's 5-0 win over the Chicago Cubs at Wrigley Field.
Cubs right-hander Jeff Samardzija, the subject of trade rumors, came off the mound to a standing ovation after allowing only three hits and fanning seven over seven innings. Kyle Lohse limited the hosts to five hits over six frames.
The opener of this four-game series was left up to the bullpen, namely Pedro Strop (1-1), who faltered in the ninth. Jean Segura walked and Jonathan Lucroy singled to start the inning. Gomez then hit a bloop single to center. The throw home was late.
Caleb Gindl put down a bunt in front of the plate. The throw from catcher Welington Castillo pulled third baseman Luis Valbuena off the base.
One out later, Bianchi doubled to right field to create a three-run margin. Blake Parker struck out pinch-hitter Yuniesky Betancourt, but Weeks followed with a fly ball down the right-field line. The ball landed in front of a diving Nate Schierholtz.
Brandon Kintzler (3-0) retired the side in order in the eighth and Rob Wooten didn't allow a hit in the ninth.
Samardzija didn't give up a hit until Gindl's single with two outs in the fifth.
Milwaukee put two men in scoring position in the sixth, but Segura struck out to end the inning.
"I know when Samardzija has his location you're not going to score a lot off him," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said. "When he's throwing those pitches over for strikes you're going to have trouble."
The Cubs, who had six hits, had swept a three-game set at San Francisco over the weekend with wins by a run each time.
"We feel great going into every game. We play every game tough. We hope to continue that momentum the rest of the season," Samardzija said.
These teams will play a day/night doubleheader Tuesday ... Milwaukee leads the season series, 6-3 ... Brewers right fielder Norichika Aoki went 0-for-5 and had a nine-game hitting streak broken.
- MILWAUKEE: 5
Jul 29 11:17 PM
- Rickie Weeks doubled to right scoring Caleb Gindl and Jeff Bianchi. Runner on second with two outs and Norichika Aoki due up.
Brewers 5, Cubs 0 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 29 11:05 PM
- Jeff Bianchi doubled to right scoring Jonathan Lucroy and Carlos Gomez. On the play, Caleb Gindl advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Brandon Kintzler due up.
Brewers 3, Cubs 0 Top 9, 1 OutJul 29 10:58 PM
- Carlos Gomez singled to center scoring Jean Segura. On the play, Jonathan Lucroy advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Caleb Gindl due up.
Brewers 1, Cubs 0 Top 9, 0 OutsJul 29 10:49 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 29 8:08 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21