Padres edge RedsJul 31, 2013 - 7:27 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Nick Hundley's two-run double in the eighth inning lifted the San Diego Padres to a 4-2 win over the Cincinnati Reds on Tuesday.
Will Venable and Jedd Gyorko reached on a pair of one-out singles. After Sam LeCure fanned pinch-hitter Chris Denorfia, Hundley laced a double just inside the line in left field to push two runs across.
Dale Thayer (1-3) worked 1 1/3 scoreless innings to earn the win and Huston Street stranded a runner in the ninth to nail down his 20th save of the season.
Venable went 3-for-3 with two doubled and an RBI, and Logan Forsythe drove in a run for the Padres, winners in four straight.
"We talk about it all the time. Good pitching and timely hitting, and today our pitchers did a nice job all the way through the game," Padres manager Bud Black said. "We got a couple of big swings early and then the real big one late from Nick (Hundley). That's what it comes down to, a very clutch hit late in the game."
Manny Para (1-2) was charged with the loss after putting the go-ahead run on base in the eighth.
The Reds took a 1-0 lead in the second inning. With runners on the corners, Devin Mesoraco tapped an infield single down the third baseline, allowing Jay Bruce to score.
The Padres tied the game in the home half. Yonder Alonso singled and Venable doubled to put runners on second and third. Forsythe followed with a groundout to shortstop, but it was enough to score Alonso.
Bruce singled home Joey Votto in the sixth, but the Padres tied it up once again in the bottom half of the frame.
Pinch-hitter Jesus Guzman singled then scored on Venable's double off the wall in center field.
Zack Cozart opened the ninth with a base hit off Street, but the Padres' closer retired the next three hitters in order to seal the win.
"We get runners on and we can't push them over or across," Reds manager Dusty Baker said. "We get runners on late, but can't move them.
San Diego outfielder Carlos Quentin left the game in the sixth inning with a knee injury ... The Padres were just 1-for-12 with runners in scoring position ... Parra was charged with his first run since June 7, snapping a 19-game scoreless streak ... The Reds have dropped five straight games.
- CINCINNATI: 2
SAN DIEGO: 4
Jul 31 1:40 AM
- Nick Hundley double to left scored Will Venable and Jedd Gyorko with two out. Runner on second and Chase Headley due up.
Reds 2, Padres 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 31 1:27 AM
- Will Venable double to center scored Jesus Guzman with one out. Runner on second and Jedd Gyorko due up.
Reds 2, Padres 2 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 31 12:19 AM
- Jay Bruce single to center scored Joey Votto with one out. On the play, Brandon Phillips advances to third. Runners on first and third and Todd Frazier due up.
Reds 2, Padres 1 Top 6, 1 OutJul 31 12:06 AM
- Logan Forsythe grounded out short to first scored Yonder Alonso with two out. Runner on second and Nick Hundley due up.
Reds 1, Padres 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsJul 30 10:50 PM
- Devin Mesoraco infield single to third scored Jay Bruce with one out. On the play, Zack Cozart out at third, third to second. Runner on first with two outs and Mat Latos due up.
Reds 1, Padres 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 30 10:41 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 30 10:12 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22