Ellis' ninth-inning single sends Dodgers past YankeesJul 31, 2013 - 5:46 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Mark Ellis drove in the winner in the ninth as the Los Angeles Dodgers took a 3-2 win over the New York Yankees in the opener of a two-game set.
In the ninth with Shawn Kelley (3-1) on the mound, Andre Ethier hit a one-out single and later stole second after Juan Uribe struck out. Ellis then dropped a base hit into center and Ethier crossed the plate for the win.
"It was a slider. I faced him before and I knew what he was throwing," said Ellis. "When I hit the ball I knew it would fall for a hit. It felt good. We battled all night and we found a way to get the big hit."
Hanley Ramirez and Uribe each drove in a run for the Dodgers, who have won four straight and 10 of 11.
Zack Greinke pitched seven innings for Los Angeles and gave up two runs on five hits with seven strikeouts. Kenley Jansen (4-3) tossed a 1-2-3 ninth for the win.
Lyle Overbay hit a solo home run and drove in two for the Yankees, who have lost three of four. Andy Pettitte gave up two runs on eight hits in seven innings of work.
"It's tough after seeing Andy pitch that game," said New York manager Joe Girardi. "We've had some tough losses and it's frustrating to lose that way."
Before the game, the Dodgers added to their bullpen as the team signed closer Brian Wilson to a one-year deal.
A World Series winner with the Giants in 2010 and three-time All-Star, Wilson had Tommy John surgery last April 19 as has not pitched since.
Also on Thursday, a report said that Yankees slugger Alex Rodriguez, along with several other players, will be suspended by the end of the week for allegedly obtaining performance-enhancing drugs from Biogenesis of America, the now-defunct Miami-based anti-aging clinic.
Reports are indicating that Rodriguez's suspension will be stiffer than the other players involved due to Rodriguez lying to investigators for interfering with MLB's investigation into Biogenesis.
Rodriguez has not yet played this season due to hip and quad injuries. He was sidelined for the first 3 1/2 months after recovering from hip surgery and recently the Yankees and the three-time AL MVP have clashed on the quad injury with A-Rod saying he wants to play, but the Yankees saying he needs more time to recover.
The Dodgers worked a run across in the first as Yasiel Puig hit a one-out double and later scored on a single from Ramirez, but Overbay led off the second with his 12th home run of the season.
Uribe homered with one down in the second, a solo shot to left, but the Yanks again tied the game in the fourth as Alfonso Soriano led off with a double, moved to third on a wild pitch, and came home on Overbay's groundout.
These teams split a two-game set in New York in mid-June ... Hiroki Kuroda pitches for the Yankees on Wednesday while Clayton Kershaw takes the mound for the Dodgers.
- NEW YORK: 2
LOS ANGELES: 3
Jul 31 1:00 AM
- Mark Ellis single to center scored Andre Ethier with two out to win the game.
Yankees 2, Dodgers 3 Bot 9, 2 OutsJul 31 12:58 AM
- Lyle Overbay groundout to short scored Alfonso Soriano with one out. None on with one out and Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Yankees 2, Dodgers 2 Top 4, 1 OutJul 30 11:15 PM
- Juan Uribe one-out, solo Home Run (6) to left. Mark Ellis due up.
Yankees 1, Dodgers 2 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 30 10:42 PM
- Lyle Overbay lead-off Home Run (12) to right. Ichiro Suzuki due up.
Yankees 1, Dodgers 1 Top 2, 0 OutsJul 30 10:33 PM
- Hanley Ramirez single to center scored Yasiel Puig with two out. Runner on first with two outs and A.J. Ellis due up.
Yankees 0, Dodgers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 30 10:27 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 30 10:10 PM
- Blue Jays-Yankees Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22