Buck comes through in 10th, sending Mets over MarlinsJul 31, 2013 - 6:24 AM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - John Buck's two-run single in the top of the 10th inning lifted the New York Mets to a 4-2 win over the Miami Marlins.
With Steve Cishek (3-6) pitching for the Marlins, David Wright and Marlon Byrd hit back-to- back singles to start the inning and Ike Davis followed with a walk. Buck's base hit went into center field.
The Mets had a chance for more after a sacrifice bunt by Juan Lagares and an intentional walk to Omar Quintanilla. However, pinch-hitter Josh Satin grounded to third and Davis was out at the plate, then Eric Young grounded out.
Bobby Parnell walked Christian Yelich with two outs in the home half, but got Adeiny Hechavarria to ground out to notch his 22nd save.
Scott Atchison (1-0) threw a hitless ninth to pick up the win. Mets starter Zack Wheeler took a no-hitter into the seventh, but eventually gave up two runs on three hits and three walks while fanning five over seven frames.
Donovan Solano and Jake Marisnick drove in one run apiece for the Marlins, who recorded just four hits. Starter Nathan Eovaldi gave up two runs on four hits and five walks over six frames.
"We've battled and got a couple of runs off him (Wheeler) but that was it. Four hits. It's tough to do any damage with four hits," Marlins manager Mike Redmond said.
New York got on the board in the fourth. Wright ripped a leadoff double to center and Buck drew a two-out walk. Lagares brought both of them home with a triple to right-center.
In the seventh, Wheeler walked Logan Morrison with one out and Ed Lucas broke up the no-hitter with a single to right. Back-to-back RBI singles by Solano and Marisnick tied the game.
"Well, there goes the no-hitter, of course," said Wheeler. I did get a little rushed, rushed a little bit after that, probably let down my guard just a little bit, but it's a learning experience. You just take everything you learn from this game and you go forward with it."
The Mets had a chance to retake the lead in the eighth. Byrd knocked a leadoff triple and Lagares walked with two outs. However, Quintanilla struck out to end the frame.
In the ninth, Cishek threw a 1-2-3 frame while Atchinson allowed only a walk to Morrison and a fielder's choice bunt by Lucas, sending the game into extra innings.
Lagares went 3-for-3 with two RBI. Over his last 11 games, Lagares is hitting .353 with seven RBI and five runs scored ... Wright went 2-for-5 and has eight multi-hit games in his last 10 games ... The Mets hit 2-for-12 with runners in scoring position and left 12 runners on base ... Miami's Justin Ruggiano grounded out in the bottom of the 10th in his only at-bat. He is hitless in his last 33 at-bats, tying Mike Jacobs for the Marlins' all-time record.
- NEW YORK: 4
Jul 30 10:21 PM
- John Buck singled to center scoring David Wright and Marlon Byrd with none out. On the play, Ike Davis advances to second. Runners on first and second and Juan Lagares due up.
Mets 4, Marlins 2 Top 10, 0 OutsJul 30 10:04 PM
- Jake Marisnick singled to center scoring Ed Lucas with one out. On the play, Donovan Solano advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jeff Mathis due up.
Mets 2, Marlins 2 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 30 9:09 PM
- Donovan Solano singled to left scoring Logan Morrison with one out. On the play, Ed Lucas advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jake Marisnick due up.
Mets 2, Marlins 1 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 30 9:09 PM
- Juan Lagares tripled to center scoring David Wright and John Buck with two out. Runner on third and Omar Quintanilla due up.
Mets 2, Marlins 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 30 8:04 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 30 7:12 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21