Bianchi lifts Brewers past CubsJul 31, 2013 - 3:53 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Jeff Bianchi hit a two-run single in the ninth inning to help the Milwaukee Brewers sweep a day/night doubleheader with a 3-2 win over the Chicago Cubs.
In the ninth, Kevin Gregg (2-3) gave up a leadoff single to Juan Francisco, but then got the next two batters out. Jean Segura beat out a slow chopper to third to keep the inning alive, and Logan Schafer worked a walk to load the bases. Bianchi then hit a sharp shot to short that tipped off the glove of a diving Starlin Castro, scoring two runs for a 3-2 lead.
Jim Henderson then worked around a two-out single in the ninth to pick up his 14th save of the season.
Bianchi made a winner of Burke Badenhop (2-3), who gave up a pair of unearned runs over two innings to pick up the win. Tyler Thornburg went six innings in the start and gave up just four hits and three walks with six strikeouts while Francisco hit a solo home run for the Brewers, who have won the first three games of this four-game set.
In the earlier game on Tuesday, Khris Davis hit a three-run home run to help the Brewers take a 6-5 win to open the doubleheader.
Jake Arrieta pitched six strong innings, giving up just two hits, including Francisco's home run, and three walks with two strikeouts for the Cubs, who came into this series off a three-game sweep of the Giants.
Milwaukee had stranded runners on first and third in the fourth, but got on board in the fifth as Francisco led off the frame with his 14th homer of the year to left-center.
The Cubs didn't get a runner past second in the first six innings, but surged ahead in the seventh.
With Badenhop on the mound, Cody Ransom reached base thanks to Francisco's fielding error. Cole Gillespie then made it to first on a bad play from Bianchi, and both runners moved up a base on a passed ball. After Darwin Barney grounded out, David DeJesus punched a double to the gap in right-center for a 2-1 lead.
The doubleheader was due to a game being rained out on April 10 ... Milwaukee has won eight of 11 from Chicago this season ... Both teams stranded nine runners on base, as Milwaukee went 1-for-9 with runners in scoring position while Chicago was 1-for-6.
- MILWAUKEE: 3
Jul 30 11:29 PM
- Jeff Bianchi single to short scored Norichika Aoki and Jean Segura with two out. On the play, Logan Schafer advances to third. Runners on first and third and Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Brewers 3, Cubs 2 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 30 11:14 PM
- David DeJesus double to right scored Cody Ransom and Cole Gillespie with one out. Runner on second and Junior Lake due up.
Brewers 1, Cubs 2 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 30 10:26 PM
- Juan Francisco lead-off Home Run (14) to left center. Yuniesky Betancourt due up.
Brewers 1, Cubs 0 Top 5, 0 OutsJul 30 9:27 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 30 8:08 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21