Jackson pitches Cubs past BrewersAug 1, 2013 - 6:12 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Edwin Jackson spun eight innings of one-run ball to lead the Chicago Cubs to a 6-1 win over the Milwaukee Brewers to avoid a four-game sweep at Wrigley Field.
Jackson (7-11) scattered eight hits and struck out four without issuing a walk to win for the fourth time in six starts.
"It was a combination of everything," Jackson said of the victory. "We had great defensive plays all around from pretty much every position."
Anthony Rizzo hit a two-run homer and David DeJesus had two hits and three RBI for the Cubs.
Jonathan Lucroy went 2-for-4 with two doubles and an RBI for the Brewers, who had won four of five entering the game.
Wily Peralta (7-11) was charged with four runs -- three earned -- on five hits over five innings to drop his second straight start.
"He threw some pitches I thought in some counts where I didn't particularly like the pitch," Milwaukee manager Ron Roenicke admitted. "He wasn't bad, just the mistakes that he made ended up hurting him."
Chicago broke through for a pair of runs in the third inning. DeJesus walked before Rizzo cracked his two-run blast over the wall in center field.
The Cubs added two more in the fourth. Starlin Castro got things started with a solo homer to left-center with one out. After Welington Castillo struck out, Cody Ransom walked and Jackson reached on a fielding error to put runners on the corners for DeJesus, who ripped a single back up the middle. The ball drilled Peralta and bounced to the right side of the infield, allowing Ransom to score.
DeJesus' two-run single in the sixth made it 6-0.
Milwaukee got on the board in the eighth inning. Rickie Weeks singled then scored on Lucroy's double to right field.
The game was delayed one hour and six minutes in the sixth inning ... The Cubs were 3-for-8 with runners in scoring position ... Brewers starting pitcher Yovani Gallardo was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a left hamstring injury ... The Brewers were 2-for-11 with RISP.
- MILWAUKEE: 1
Aug 1 12:01 AM
- Jonathan Lucroy double to right scored Rickie Weeks with two out. Runner on second and Alfredo Figaro due up.
Brewers 1, Cubs 6 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 31 11:36 PM
- David DeJesus single to center scored Welington Castillo and Cody Ransom with one out. Runner on first and Julio Borbon due up.
Brewers 0, Cubs 6 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 31 11:11 PM
- David DeJesus single to second, deflected off the pitcher, scored Cody Ransom with two out. On the play, Edwin Jackson advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Julio Borbon due up.
Brewers 0, Cubs 4 Bot 4, 2 OutsJul 31 9:27 PM
- Starlin Castro one-out, solo Home Run (7) to left. Welington Castillo due up.
Brewers 0, Cubs 3 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 31 9:16 PM
- Anthony Rizzo two-out, two-run Home Run (15) to center scored David DeJesus. Nate Schierholtz due up.
Brewers 0, Cubs 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 31 9:00 PM
- MILWAUKEE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 31 8:09 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21