Dodgers take down CubsAug 2, 2013 - 5:04 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Jerry Hairston and Hanley Ramirez each knocked in two runs as the Los Angeles Dodgers beat the Chicago Cubs, 6-4, in the opener of a four-game series.
Yasiel Puig hit a solo homer and scored twice for the Dodgers, who improved to 11-2 since the All-Star break. Adrian Gonzalez added an RBI and a run scored.
Los Angeles starter Ricky Nolasco (7-9), making his first start since last Wednesday, allowed three runs on four hits while striking out six over five innings.
"It was good to have a couple extra days," Nolasco said. "I felt good tonight."
The Dodgers have won 11 straight games on the road, the most for a Dodgers team since 1955 (also 11).
Junior Lake and Anthony Rizzo each had a pair of solo homers for the Cubs, who have lost four of five.
Chris Rusin (1-1) got the start for Chicago and gave up four runs on seven hits while walking three over five-plus frames.
Lake and Rizzo hit back-to-back homers in the first to make it 2-0 Chicago.
"We didn't really give ourselves the opportunity to score runs tonight, which is unusual for us," Rizzo said.
The Dodgers, who left the bases loaded in the second, got both runs back in the third. Puig walked and Gonzalez singled to right-center field to put men on the corners with one out. Ramirez plated both runners with a double down the left-field line.
Lake homered to left-center field in the bottom half to put the Cubs back in front.
Los Angeles scored three runs in the sixth to take the lead. Scott Van Slyke singled and Mark Ellis walked before Michael Bowden replaced Rusin. Following a sacrifice bunt, Hairston came on as a pinch-hitter and came through with a two-run single to center. Puig's two-out double put men on second and third for Gonzalez, who hit an RBI single to center.
Rizzo homered off Paco Rodriguez in the eighth to get the Cubs within one, 5-4.
Puig responded with a homer in the ninth to give the Dodgers a two-run margin.
Kenley Jansen struck out the side in the bottom half to pick up his 15th save of the season.
Nolasco improved to 6-2 lifetime against Chicago ... Ellis went 1-for-3 to extend his hitting streak to 12 games ... The Cubs signed 16-year-old Dominican outfielder Eloy Jimenez, who is regarded as the top international prospect by Baseball America, on Thursday.
- LOS ANGELES: 6
Aug 1 11:15 PM
- Yasiel Puig one-out, solo Home Run (11) to left center. Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Dodgers 6, Cubs 4 Top 9, 1 OutAug 1 11:00 PM
- Anthony Rizzo one-out, solo Home Run 2 (17) to left. Dioner Navarro due up.
Dodgers 5, Cubs 4 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 1 10:52 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez single to center scored Jerry Hairston with two out. On the play, Yasiel Puig was thrown out at home to end the inning.
Dodgers 5, Cubs 3 Mid 6Aug 1 9:59 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jerry Hairston single to center scored Scott Van Slyke and Mark Ellis with one out. Runner on first with one out and Carl Crawford due up.
Dodgers 4, Cubs 3 Top 6, 1 OutAug 1 9:51 PM
- Junior Lake one-out, solo Home Run 2 (4) to left. Anthony Rizzo due up.
Dodgers 2, Cubs 3 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 1 9:03 PM
- Hanley Ramirez double to left scored Yasiel Puig and Adrian Gonzalez with one out. Runner on third with one out and Juan Uribe due up.
Dodgers 2, Cubs 2 Top 3, 1 OutAug 1 8:55 PM
- Anthony Rizzo one-out, solo Home Run (16) to right. Dioner Navarro due up.
Dodgers 0, Cubs 2 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 1 8:21 PM
- Junior Lake one-out, solo Home Run (3) to left. Anthony Rizzo due up.
Dodgers 0, Cubs 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 1 8:20 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 1 8:09 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22