Dodgers down Cubs, tie club recordAug 3, 2013 - 2:35 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - The Los Angeles Dodgers cruised to a 6-2 win in the second game of a four-game series against the Chicago Cubs and made some history along the way.
The Dodgers, who have won 12 of 14 since the All-Star Break, picked up their 12th straight road win to match an 89-year-old franchise record.
"It's something I think those guys should be proud of," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said. "It shows that they're coming to play everyday. The fact that you keep getting ready to go, and showing up everyday ready to go and win."
Nick Punto helped Los Angeles get there, knocking in two runs and scoring another on a pair of hits, including a double.
Yasiel Puig went 2-3, with an RBI and a run scored, and raised his average to .371.
Hyun-Jin Ryu (10-3) battled through 5 1/3 innings to pick up his third straight winning decision. He gave up two runs on 11 hits. Ryu hasn't lost since June 19.
Los Angeles battered All-Star Travis Wood (7-8) for five runs on seven hits and five walks in 3 1/3 innings.
Junior Lake went 4-for-5 for the Cubs, picking up his second career four-hit game in his 16th game, but the Cubs lost for the fifth time in six games.
"Obviously a nice job," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said. "That doesn't happen too often."
The Dodgers jumped out to an early, first-inning lead with a two-out rally. Adrian Gonzalez doubled and scored when Puig muscled a base hit to left field.
The Cubs tied the game in the second when Cole Gillespie and Darwin Barney delivered back-to-back, two-out doubles.
The Dodgers regained the lead in the third. Mark Ellis and Punto started the inning with doubles. Los Angeles grinded out another run thanks to four straight walks, the last after A.J. Ellis' nine-pitch battle, to make the score 3-1.
Los Angeles added to its lead in the fourth inning. Ryu led off with a single and moved to second on Punto's infield single. Adrian Gonzalez followed with a bloop hit to center field that bounced past David DeJesus, scoring Ryu and putting runners on second and third. Two batters later, Scott Van Slyke plated Punto with a sacrifice fly to make the score 5-1.
The Cubs scored in the fourth with doubles by Starlin Castro and Gillespie, but the Dodgers got the run right back in the fifth when Punto knocked in Juan Uribe with a sacrifice fly to make the score 6-2.
Carlos Marmol, who the Cubs dealt to the Dodgers on July 2, tossed a scoreless ninth inning to close out the game in his first appearance against his old team.
The last time the Dodgers won 12 straight road games was from August 25- September 6, 1924 as the Brooklyn Robins ... Mark Ellis and Mattingly were ejected from the game in the top of the fourth inning arguing balls and strikes ... The Dodgers have not lost a series since June 14-16 at Pittsburgh ... Ryu became the first Dodgers rookie to win at least 10 games since Kazuhisa Ishii in 2002 ... Mark Ellis went 1-for-3 to extend his hitting streak to 13 games ... Wood threw 41 pitches in the third inning, the most for a Cubs pitcher this season ... The Cubs have at least one extra-base hit in 26 straight games ... Lake became the first Cub with two four-hit games this season and to have two in the first 16 games of his career.
- LOS ANGELES: 6
Aug 2 7:36 PM
- Nick Punto sacrifice fly to center scored Juan Uribe. Runner on second with two outs and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Dodgers 6, Cubs 2 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 2 6:10 PM
- Cole Gillespie doubled to right scoring Starlin Castro. Runner on second with one out and Darwin Barney due up.
Dodgers 5, Cubs 2 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 2 5:57 PM
- Scott Van Slyke's sacrifice fly to right scored Nick Punto. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Andre Ethier due up.
Dodgers 5, Cubs 1 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 2 5:44 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez singled to center. On the play, David DeJesus's fielding error scored Hyun-Jin Ryu. Also on the play, Nick Punto advances to third and Adrian Gonzalez advances to second. Runners on second and third with one out and Yasiel Puig due up.
Dodgers 4, Cubs 1 Top 4, 1 OutAug 2 5:39 PM
- A.J. Ellis's walk scored Yasiel Puig. Bases loaded with two outs and Juan Uribe due up.
Dodgers 3, Cubs 1 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 2 5:11 PM
- Nick Punto doubled to right scoring Mark Ellis. Runner on second with none out and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Dodgers 2, Cubs 1 Top 3, 0 OutsAug 2 4:56 PM
- Darwin Barney doubled to left scoring Cole Gillespie. Runner on second with two outs and Travis Wood due up.
Dodgers 1, Cubs 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 2 4:49 PM
- Yasiel Puig singled to left scoring Adrian Gonzalez. Runner on first with two outs and Scott Van Slyke due up.
Dodgers 1, Cubs 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 2 4:14 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 2 4:07 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22