Fernandez strikes out 14 as Marlins pound TribeAug 3, 2013 - 5:42 AM Miami, FL (Sports Network) - Jose Fernandez struck out a career-high 14 batters over eight scoreless innings as the Miami Marlins pounded the Cleveland Indians, 10-0, in the opener of a three-game interleague set.
Fernandez (8-5) scattered three hits and walked just one batter to pick up his third straight win. The 21-year-old rookie became the first pitcher to strike out at least 13 batters in consecutive games since 2004 and the first rookie to accomplish the feat since Kerry Wood in 1998.
"I really try to make good pitches. I don't go out there and try to strike out more than I did last time, I don't really think about that. I just try to go out there and do what I have to do to get the win," said Fernandez.
Logan Morrison drove in four runs and finished a homer shy of the cycle. Donovan Solano had two RBI, while Adeiny Hechavarria and Jake Marisnick each had three hits and an RBI for the Marlins, winners in three straight.
Ubaldo Jimenez (8-6) was tagged for five runs -- two earned -- on nine hits over four innings to absorb the loss.
Cleveland had an eight-game winning streak snapped.
Miami jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first. With two on and one out, Morrison laced a double to left field to score Ed Lucas. Solano followed with a ground out to first, but it was enough to score Giancarlo Stanton. Hechavarria capped the inning with an RBI single.
"I had problems locating the fastball. I think after that first inning I got a little worn down, I threw too many pitches that inning," said Jimenez.
The Marlins added one run in both the second and third innings to make it a five-run game.
In the second, Christian Yelich tripled then scored on a Morrison single to center.
Fernandez's sacrifice fly in the third scored Marisnick to give Miami a 5-0 lead.
Miami put the game out of reach with a five-run eighth inning. With two on and one out, Lucas grounded into a force out, but it scored Juan Pierre. After Stanton singled, Morrison smoked a triple to right to push a pair of runs across. Solano followed with an RBI single before coming around on a Marisnick base hit.
Fernandez's 14 strikeouts are the most by an NL pitcher this season ... Fernandez became the first rookie to strike out 14 batter since Stephen Strasburg in 2010 ... Fernandez is the first Marlins pitcher with back-to-back starts with at least 10 strikeouts since Ricky Nolasco in 2008 ... Miami went 6-for-15 with runners in scoring position ... Jimenez threw 107 pitches ... Game time: 2:34.
- CLEVELAND: 0
Aug 2 9:44 PM
- Jake Marisnick single to left scoring Donovan Solano with two outs. On the play, Adeiny Hechavarria advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jeff Mathis due up.
Indians 0, Marlins 10 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 2 9:37 PM
- Donovan Solano single to center scoring Logan Morrison with two outs. Runner on first and Adeiny Hechavarria due up.
Indians 0, Marlins 9 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 2 9:34 PM
- Logan Morrison triple to right scoring Ed Lucas and Giancarlo Stanton with two outs. Runner on third and Donovan Solano due up.
Indians 0, Marlins 8 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 2 9:33 PM
- Ed Lucas grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short, scoring Juan Pierre with two outs. On the play, Christian Yelich out at second. Runner on first and Giancarlo Stanton due up.
Indians 0, Marlins 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 2 9:31 PM
- Jose Fernandez sacrifice fly to right scoring Jake Marisnick with two outs. None on and Christian Yelich due up.
Indians 0, Marlins 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 2 8:12 PM
- Logan Morrison single to center scoring Christian Yelich with two outs. On the play, Ed Lucas advances to second. Runners on first and second and Donovan Solano due up.
Indians 0, Marlins 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 2 7:53 PM
- Adeiny Hechavarria single to right scoring Logan Morrison with two outs. Runner on first and Jake Marisnick due up.
Indians 0, Marlins 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 2 7:32 PM
- Donovan Solano grounded out second to first scoring Giancarlo Stanton with two outs. On the play, Logan Morrison advances to third. Runner on third and Adeiny Hechavarria due up.
Indians 0, Marlins 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 2 7:31 PM
- Logan Morrison double to left scoring Ed Lucas with one out. On the play, Giancarlo Stanton advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Donovan Solano due up.
Indians 0, Marlins 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 2 7:30 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 2 7:11 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Indians-White Sox Preview May 23
- Indians' Joba Chamberlain (chest muscle) on disabled list May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Ventura steps up, but Royals fall short, 3-2 May 22
- Ortiz gets 4 hits, Bradley's streak at 27, Bosox top Indians May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21