Bianchi boosts Brewers over NationalsAug 5, 2013 - 1:27 AM Milwaukee, WI (Sports Network) - Jeff Bianchi's two-run single capped a five- run sixth inning as the Milwaukee Brewers avoided a three-game sweep with an 8-5 win over the Washington Nationals on Sunday.
Bianchi also had a sacrifice fly and Juan Francisco had two RBI for the Brewers, who snapped a three-game skid.
John Axford (5-4) earned the win despite giving up a run in the sixth inning. Starter Kyle Lohse was tagged for three runs -- two earned -- on five hits over five innings.
"Kyle did a nice job of holding it down and letting us have a chance to catch up," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said of his starter.
Jim Henderson worked a hitless ninth for his 15th save of the season.
Adam LaRoche and Anthony Rendon each hit a solo homer and Kurt Suzuki had a pair of RBI for the Nationals, losers in three of five.
Fernando Abad (0-3) was pegged with the loss after giving up two runs in the sixth.
Washington jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first. With the bases loaded and one out, Suzuki laced a base hit to center to score Jayson Werth and Ian Desmond. Steve Lombardozzi then came around on Jonathan Lucroy's throwing error.
Caleb Gindl scored on Francisco's ground out to first in the home half to get the Brewers on the board.
LaRoche led off the sixth with a solo homer, but Milwaukee rallied for five runs in the home half to take the lead. Carlos Gomez got things started with a sacrifice fly to right field to score Logan Schafer. Khris Davis followed with a pinch-hit single to score Jean Segura before Francisco smacked a double to right to push Lucroy across. Bianchi capped the inning with his two-run single just over the outstretched arms of second baseman Anthony Rendon to make it 6-4.
"The balls were elevated a little bit," Washington starter Taylor Jordan said of his struggles in the sixth. "I was trying too hard. I think I lost a little bit of life."
Rendon cracked a solo homer in the seventh, but the Brewers got the run back after Schafer scored on Lucroy's groundout in the home half.
Davis scored on Bianchi's suicide squeeze in the eighth to account for the final margin.
Lohse hit two batters ... Milwaukee went 3-for-8 with runners ins coring position ... Jordan gave up for runs on four hits over 5 1/3 innings ... The Nationals went 2-for-11 with RISP.
- WASHINGTON: 5
Aug 4 5:12 PM
- Jeff Bianchi sacrifice bunt to pitcher scored Khris Davis. None on with two outs and Scooter Gennett due up.
Nationals 5, Brewers 8 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 4 4:59 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy grounded out third to first scored Logan Schafer. None on with two outs and Carlos Gomez due up.
Nationals 5, Brewers 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 4 4:46 PM
- Anthony Rendon lead-off Home Run (5) to left. Denard Span due up.
Nationals 5, Brewers 6 Top 7, 0 OutsAug 4 4:26 PM
- Jeff Bianchi singled to second scored Khris Davis and Juan Francisco. Runner on first with one out and Scooter Gennett due up.
Nationals 4, Brewers 6 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 4 4:20 PM
- Juan Francisco doubled to right scored Jonathan Lucroy. On the play, Khris Davis advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Jeff Bianchi due up.
Nationals 4, Brewers 4 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 4 4:17 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Khris Davis singled to short scored Jean Segura. On the play, Jonathan Lucroy advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Juan Francisco due up.
Nationals 4, Brewers 3 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 4 4:14 PM
- Carlos Gomez sacrifice fly out to right scored Logan Schafer. On the play, Jean Segura advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Caleb Gindl due up.
Nationals 4, Brewers 2 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 4 4:09 PM
- Adam LaRoche lead-off Home Run (16) to right. Ian Desmond due up.
Nationals 4, Brewers 1 Top 6, 0 OutsAug 4 3:51 PM
- Juan Francisco grounded out to first scored Caleb Gindl. None on with two outs and Jeff Bianchi due up.
Nationals 3, Brewers 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 4 2:51 PM
- Taylor Jordan reached first on Jonathan Lucroy's fielding error scored Steve Lombardozzi. On the play, Kurt Suzuki advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Denard Span due up.
Nationals 3, Brewers 0 Top 2, 1 OutAug 4 2:39 PM
- Kurt Suzuki singled to center scored Jayson Werth and Ian Desmond. On the play, Steve Lombardozzi advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Taylor Jordan due up.
Nationals 2, Brewers 0 Top 2, 1 OutAug 4 2:37 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 4 2:11 PM
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21