Bruce, Reds edge A'sAug 7, 2013 - 10:10 PM Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - Jay Bruce hit a two-run homer and knocked in three runs as the Cincinnati Reds held off the Oakland Athletics, 6-5, on Wednesday.
Corky Miller hit a pair of RBI doubles before leaving with a right quad contusion for the Reds, who swept this brief two-game set. Devin Mesoraco, who replaced Miller, drove in a run.
"He epitomizes, I think, what we do as baseball players," Bruce said of Miller. "He's been around forever, he's a grinder, he does things the right way. For him to come out and have a big day is awesome."
Cincinnati starter Homer Bailey (7-10) allowed five runs on nine hits over 5 1/3 innings.
Josh Donaldson hit a solo homer and knocked in two runs for the A's, who have lost three in a row. Eric Sogard, who came in for an injured Alberto Callaspo, went 2-for-2 with two RBI.
Oakland starter Bartolo Colon (14-4) had a rough outing, giving up five runs on seven hits over 2 2/3 innings. The right-hander had tossed six or more innings and allowed three runs or fewer in each of his previous 15 starts.
The Reds got on the board in the first inning. Shin-Soo Choo singled, Todd Frazier walked and Joey Votto singled to load the bases with no outs. Bruce grounded into a fielder's choice to plate the first run of the contest.
After Donaldson homered in the top of the second, Cincinnati scored another run in the bottom half. Zack Cozart singled and raced home on Miller's double to right.
The Reds tacked on three more runs in the third to take a 5-1 lead. Votto singled and scored on Bruce's one-out homer to right. Cozart worked a two-out walk and crossed the plate on Miller's double to left.
Oakland got one run back in the fourth. Brandon Moss reached base on an infield single and moved to third on Callaspo's two-out double to right. Stephen Vogt followed with a single to right that scored Moss. Callaspo also tried to score but suffered a left forearm contusion while being tagged out at the plate.
Cincinnati scored another run in the fifth to go back up by four. Xavier Paul led off with a ground-rule double to right, moved to third on a sacrifice bunt and raced home when pinch-hitter Mesoraco reached first on third baseman Donaldson's fielding error.
The A's made things interesting by putting up a three-spot in the sixth. Jed Lowrie doubled and Moss singled to put men on the corners with one out. Donaldson's RBI single to left and Sogard's two-run triple to right cut the gap to 6-5.
"That would have been an easy game to just hang your head and say 'here we go again' but they didn't," A's manager Bob Melvin said of his club rallying late. "You try to take something positive from that."
Oakland put men on first and second with two outs in the eighth, but Josh Reddick flied out.
Aroldis Chapman pitched a perfect ninth to record his 27th save of the season.
Oakland is 10-6 all-time versus the Reds ... Colon, who fell to 3-1 lifetime against the Reds, was trying to win his seventh straight road start ... The Reds activated reliever Jonathan Broxton from the 15-day disabled list and optioned pitcher Pedro Villarreal to Triple-A Louisville ... Cincinnati won consecutive games for the first time since July 24 in San Francisco and July 25 in Los Angeles.
- OAKLAND: 5
Aug 7 3:46 PM
- Eric Sogard tripled to right scored Brandon Moss and Josh Donaldson. Runner on third with one out and Stephen Vogt due up.
Athletics 5, Reds 6 Top 6, 1 OutAug 7 2:30 PM
- Josh Donaldson singled to left scored Jed Lowrie. On the play, Brandon Moss advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Eric Sogard due up.
Athletics 3, Reds 6 Top 6, 1 OutAug 7 2:30 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Devin Mesoraco reached first on Josh Donaldson's fielding error. On the play, Donaldson's error scored Xavier Paul. Runner on first with one out and Homer Bailey due up.
Athletics 2, Reds 6 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 7 2:18 PM
- Stephen Vogt singled to right scored Brandon Moss. On the play, Alberto Callaspo out at home, right to catcher, to end the inning.
Athletics 2, Reds 5 Mid 4Aug 7 1:54 PM
- Corky Miller doubled to left scored Zack Cozart. Runner on second with two outs and Homer Bailey due up.
Athletics 1, Reds 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 7 1:35 PM
- Jay Bruce one-out, two-run Home Run (24) to right scored Joey Votto. Xavier Paul due up.
Athletics 1, Reds 4 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 7 1:30 PM
- Corky Miller doubled to right scored Zack Cozart. Runner on second with none out and Homer Bailey due up.
Athletics 1, Reds 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 7 1:09 PM
- Josh Donaldson two-out, solo Home Run (17) to right. Alberto Callaspo due up.
Athletics 1, Reds 1 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 7 12:59 PM
- Jay Bruce grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Shin-Soo Choo. Joey Votto out at second. Todd Frazier advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Xavier Paul due up.
Athletics 0, Reds 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 7 12:50 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 7 12:37 PM
- Athletics-Mariners Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Ejections aplenty for Blue Jays lately May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Bad day gets worse for Athletics in 5-4 loss to Yankees May 22
- Pineda ends slump; Yanks top Oakland 5-4 to win 5th straight May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Gray put on DL by A's because of strained muscle May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Yankees-Athletics Preview May 21