Harvey fires shutout, Mets down RockiesAug 8, 2013 - 6:05 AM Flushing, NY (Sports Network) - Matt Harvey continued his impressive season on Wednesday by tossing his first career complete game.
Harvey gave up just four hits and struck out six in the New York Mets' 5-0 win over the Colorado Rockies in the middle test of a three-game series.
For the 24-year-old Harvey (9-3), it's the second time he's pitched nine innings this season. The other occurrence was on May 7 against the White Sox, but that game went into extra innings. The Mets' ace has allowed three runs or less in all but three of his starts this season.
"Nine innings, it's where you want to go as a starter," said Harvey. "Whether I struck out 10 or three or one, nine innings with a bunch of zeroes is all that matters."
Wilmer Flores, in his second career game, went 2-for-4 with a three-run double while John Buck and Omar Quintanilla drove in a run apiece for the Mets.
Colorado starter Jhoulys Chacin (10-6) gave up two runs on seven hits and a walk over seven innings.
The Rockies are on a four-game losing streak.
"We obviously didn't have the road trip that we'd like to have," said Rockies outfielder Michael Cuddyer. "Hopefully we can at least get tomorrow's game and go back home. It's important."
In the second, Flores, Buck and Quintanilla hit consecutive one-out singles, the last of which drove in a run. The Mets had a chance to score more, but Harvey grounded into a double play.
Two innings later, Buck delivered a two-out RBI single to right.
After that, it was Harvey's show. Following a two-out single to Michael Cuddyer in the fourth, Harvey retired the next 11 batters before giving up a one-out infield single to Nolan Arenado in the eighth. DJ LeMahieu grounded into a double play on the next at-bat.
In the bottom of the eighth, Juan Lagares was walked with one out. Two batters later, Marlon Byrd hit a two-out ground-rule double and Ike Davis was intentionally walked, loading the bases. Flores cleared them with a double down the left field line.
In the ninth, Charlie Blackmon hit Harvey in the knee with a two-out line drive and advanced to second on a fielder's indifference. Harvey finished the job by getting Troy Tulowtizki to pop out.
Prior to the game, the Rockies placed Carlos Gonzalez on the 15-day disabled list with a sprained joint of the right middle finger and recalled pitcher Jeff Francis from Triple-A Colorado Springs ... Chacin has a 1.80 ERA in five career games (four starts) against the Mets. He also holds a 1.87 road ERA this season ... Harvey has a 0.981 career WHIP over 33 starts. He also has 178 strikeouts, most in the National League ... Colorado's Tyler Chatwood was scheduled to face New York's Dillon Gee in Thursday's series finale but will miss it after experiencing right elbow inflammation.
- COLORADO: 0
NEW YORK: 5
Aug 7 9:39 PM
- Wilmer Flores doubled to left scored Juan Lagares, Marlon Byrd and Ike Davis. Runner on second with two outs and John Buck due up.
Rockies 0, Mets 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 7 9:20 PM
- John Buck singled to right scored Ike Davis. Runner on first with two outs and Omar Quintanilla due up.
Rockies 0, Mets 2 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 7 8:15 PM
- Omar Quintanilla singled to right scored Wilmer Flores. On the play, John Buck advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Matt Harvey due up.
Rockies 0, Mets 1 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 7 7:43 PM
- COLORADO: 0
NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 7 7:12 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21