Prado's big night, DPs lift Arizona over RaysAug 8, 2013 - 5:48 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Martin Prado capped a 4-for-4 performance by delivering a go-ahead two-run single in the eighth and the Arizona Diamondbacks outslugged the Tampa Bay Rays, 9-8, to sweep a two-game interleague set at Chase Field.
Prado fisted a blooper into right with the bases loaded against Tampa Bay closer Fernando Rodney to send the D'backs in front for good. He supplied a two-run homer earlier for Arizona.
"We've been doing this all year, always battling," said Prado. "It feels great for me, but it's better for my teammates ... and that's all that matters."
Tampa Bay's bullpen gave up eight runs, with five pitchers needed to piece together the last 6 1/3 innings after starter Chris Archer was forced to exit with a forearm injury in the second inning. Joel Peralta (1-5) was responsible for the go-ahead runs and was hit with the loss.
Brad Ziegler notched his seventh save after the D'backs defense turned their franchise-best sixth double play of the game. J.J. Putz (3-1) pitched a scoreless eighth to pick up the win.
The Rays held the early lead, but it dissipated by the third after Archer was removed for precautionary reasons.
"I'm glad they are cautious with me thinking about the future," Archer said. "Hopefully, it dissolves and I'm out there next start at normal game speed."
The Rays went back in front, 8-7, thanks to a four-run seventh. Josh Collmenter loaded the bases after walking Matt Joyce and gave way to Will Harris, who served up a two-run double to Evan Longoria. Wil Myers was due up, but left with asthma symptoms, however pinch-hitter Sam Fuld clubbed a two-run single off reliever Joe Thatcher to give the Rays a short-lived lead.
Peralta began his second inning of work in the eighth and walked Didi Gregorius before Gerardo Parra reached him for a single to put runners at the corners. Rodney entered but he walked Adam Eaton and Prado followed with the go-ahead hit.
Back-to-back doubles from Ben Zobrist and Joyce to start the game got the Rays on the board, and Yunel Escobar knocked in a pair with a two-bagger of his own to make it 3-0.
Paul Goldschmidt knocked in a run off Archer in the first, and Arizona surged ahead in the third off Alex Torres on Prado's two-run homer and Aaron Hill's RBI double.
Gregorius turned an incredible double play from the seat of his pants in the fourth, but there was nothing he could do about Kelly Johnson's ensuing blast into the left field seats that tied the game at 4-4.
The D'backs retook the lead in the fifth when Eric Chavez drove in Prado from third with a base hit into left. Hill followed with another RBI double and Wil Nieves capped the frame with a sac fly for a 7-4 edge.
Myers has reached base in 21 straight games, the second longest streak ever by a Rays rookie. Rocco Baldelli had a 24-game run in 2003 ... The D'backs have won four games -- three against Tampa -- in their last 10 contests ... Arizona last won two games in a row on July 25-26 ... D'backs starter Randall Delgado gave up four runs on eight hits in five innings ... The Diamondbacks are 9-1 in their last 10 interleague games at Chase Field.
- TAMPA BAY: 8
Aug 8 1:11 AM
- Martin Prado single to right scored Didi Gregorius and Gerardo Parra with one out. On the play, Adam Eaton advances to second. Runners on first and second and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Rays 8, Diamondbacks 9 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 8 12:57 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Sam Fuld single to left scored Matt Joyce and Evan Longoria with two out. Sam Fuld to second on the throw. Runner on second and James Loney due up.
Rays 8, Diamondbacks 7 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 8 12:23 AM
- Evan Longoria double to left scored Jose Molina and Ben Zobrist with two out. On the play, Matt Joyce advances to third. Runners on second and third and Wil Myers due up.
Rays 6, Diamondbacks 7 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 8 12:17 AM
- Wil Nieves sacrifice fly to left scored Eric Chavez with two out. Runners on first and second and Didi Gregorius due up.
Rays 4, Diamondbacks 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 7 11:44 PM
- Aaron Hill double to left scored Martin Prado with one out. On the play, Eric Chavez advances to third. Runners on second and third and Cody Ross due up.
Rays 4, Diamondbacks 6 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 7 11:40 PM
- Eric Chavez single to left scored Adam Eaton with one out. On the play, Martin Prado advances to third. Runners on first and third and Aaron Hill due up.
Rays 4, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 7 11:38 PM
- Kelly Johnson two-out, solo Home Run (16) to left. Jose Molina due up.
Rays 4, Diamondbacks 4 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 7 11:04 PM
- Aaron Hill double to left scored Eric Chavez with two out. Runner on second and Cody Ross due up.
Rays 3, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 7 10:55 PM
- Martin Prado one-out, two-run Home Run (10) to left scored Randall Delgado. Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Rays 3, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 7 10:49 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt single to right scored Adam Eaton with none out. On the play, Martin Prado advances to third. Runners on first and third and Eric Chavez due up.
Rays 3, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 7 10:09 PM
- Yunel Escobar double to left scored Evan Longoria and Wil Myers with two out. Runner on second and Kelly Johnson due up.
Rays 3, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 7 9:56 PM
- Matt Joyce double to right scored Ben Zobrist with none out. Runner on second and Evan Longoria due up.
Rays 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 7 9:47 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 7 9:42 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Kiermaier breaks hand, Rays fall to Tigers 5-4 May 21
- Rays-Tigers Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21