Pirates rally again, finish off sweep of MarlinsAug 8, 2013 - 11:56 PM Pittsburgh, PA (Sports Network) - The battling Bucs did it again.
Pinch-hitter Russell Martin's game-winning single in the bottom of the 10th inning led the Pittsburgh Pirates to a 5-4 victory over the Miami Marlins to complete a three-game series sweep.
Martin is responsible for four of Pittsburgh's nine walk-off wins this season.
The Pirates trailed 4-0 heading into the home fifth, but plated a pair in that frame and two more in the seventh to whittle away the deficit before pushing across the winning run in the 10th.
Josh Harrison led off the bottom of the 10th with a single against Steve Ames (0-1) and advanced to second on Clint Barmes' sacrifice bunt. Jose Tabata then grounded out and Starling Marte was intentionally walked to bring up Martin, who poked a ground ball down the third-base line to plate Harrison.
Neil Walker tallied three hits and two RBI for the Pirates, who have won five straight and concluded a 9-2 homestand. Marte had two hits and two runs scored.
"He responded tremendously in the opportunity," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said of Martin pinch-hitting. "Excellent team win and a strong homestand for us."
Jared Hughes (2-2) worked a scoreless top of the 10th to notch the win.
Christian Yelich smacked his first career homer among his three hits and scored twice for Miami, which dropped its fifth consecutive contest.
"It feels good to get that first one, get the monkey off your back," Yelich said of his first homer. "It's one of those things that you can't force it and start pressing for it because if you do that it takes you out of your game."
The Marlins scored a pair of runs in the first and fifth innings to jump out to a 4-0 lead.
Giancarlo Stanton had an RBI double in the first and Placido Polanco's RBI single made it 2-0. Yelich's two-run shot in the fifth gave Miami its four-run spread.
The Pirates, though, battled back.
RBI singles in the home fifth by Walker and Pedro Alvarez cut the margin in half, while sacrifice flies by Walker and Gaby Sanchez in the seventh knotted the contest.
Miami's Jeff Mathis fouled out to leave the bases loaded in the eighth.
This is Martin's second walk-off pinch hit this season ... Pittsburgh starter Gerrit Cole surrendered four runs on six hits and a walk over five innings, while Miami starter Jose Fernandez allowed two runs on five hits and four walks.
- MIAMI: 4
Aug 8 4:23 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Gaby Sanchez sacrifice fly to right scored Starling Marte with two out. Runners on first and second with Tony Sanchez due up.
Marlins 4, Pirates 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 8 3:16 PM
- Neil Walker sacrifice fly to right scored Jose Tabata with one out. Runners on first and second with Pedro Alvarez due up.
Marlins 4, Pirates 3 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 8 3:06 PM
- Pedro Alvarez singled to right scoring Alex Presley with one out. On the play, Neil Walker out at home. Runner on first with two outs and Garrett Jones due up.
Marlins 4, Pirates 2 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 8 2:21 PM
- Neil Walker singled to third scoring Starling Marte with one out. On the play, Alex Presley advanced to third and Walker to second on throw. Runners on second and third with Pedro Alvarez due up.
Marlins 4, Pirates 1 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 8 2:20 PM
- Christian Yelich one-out, two-run Home Run (1) to left scored Jeff Mathis. Ed Lucas due up.
Marlins 4, Pirates 0 Top 5, 1 OutAug 8 2:04 PM
- Placido Polanco singled to center scoring Giancarlo Stanton with two out. Polanco advanced to second on Starling Marte fielding error. Runner on second and Adeiny Hechavarria due up.
Marlins 2, Pirates 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 8 12:48 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton doubled to right scoring Christian Yelich with one out. Runner on second and Logan Morrison due up.
Marlins 1, Pirates 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 8 12:44 PM
- MIAMI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 8 12:38 PM
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Jose Fernandez pitches Marlins past Nationals 3-2 May 21
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21