Arroyo guides Reds past PadresAug 10, 2013 - 4:24 AM Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - Bronson Arroyo threw seven effective innings and Todd Frazier broke out of a long slump with a pair of hits and three runs scored to power the Cincinnati Reds to a 7-2 win over the San Diego Padres.
Arroyo (10-9), who had lost his previous two starts, gave up four hits, including a homer to Logan Forsythe. The right-hander also had seven strikeouts and didn't walk a batter.
Frazier came into the game in an 0-for-31 stretch, got his first hits since the July 25 game at Dodger Stadium. Brandon Phillips cranked a two-run homer and Joey Votto added two RBI for the Reds, who have won three in a row and five of their last seven games.
Andrew Cashner (8-6) surrendered seven hits and five runs -- four earned -- over five innings to have a three-start win streak broken.
"He just got in some bad counts," Padres manager Bud Black said. "They fouled some balls off and they took advantage of a lot of his mistakes."
Will Venable also homered for the Padres, losers of three in a row.
Frazier doubled to left field in the opening inning, and Votto followed with an RBI single to center.
Frazier walked to start the home second and Votto tripled off the base of the wall in right field. One out later, Jay Bruce laced a double into the right field corner for a 3-0 lead.
Frazier said a talk with Pete Rose has helped him see his way out of his struggles.
"That was the first time I ever talked to him so that was an eye-opener for me," Frazier said. "I'm glad I did because he opened my eyes up a little bit. Enough was enough. I'm just happy to produce and help the team out."
Forsythe homered to left-center in the fifth, but the Reds tacked on two in the bottom of the inning. Chris Heisey doubled to right to score Votto. Another run scored on Forsythe's throwing error. Zack Cozart hit a routine grounder to Forsythe, who threw the ball well over the head of first baseman Yonder Alonso to score Heisey.
Tim Stauffer gave up Phillips' two-run homer to left in the sixth, one out after Frazier legged out an infield hit.
Venable launched a homer to center off Alfredo Simon in the eighth.
Before the game, the Reds activated catcher Ryan Hanigan from the 15-day disabled list and put catcher Corky Miller on the 15-day DL due to a right quad contusion ... Venable has 14 homers this season, a career-high ... The Reds have won five of last the seven meetings going back to last season. The Padres took two of three in San Diego July 29-31 ... Reds reliever Jonathan Broxton pitched the ninth inning. It was his first action since June 13. He was sidelined since the middle of June with a right elbow strain.
- SAN DIEGO: 2
Aug 9 9:51 PM
- Will Venable one-out, solo Home Run (14) to center. Alexi Amarista due up.
Padres 2, Reds 7 Top 8, 1 OutAug 9 9:28 PM
- Brandon Phillips two-out, two-run Home Run (14) to left scored Todd Frazier. Jay Bruce due up.
Padres 1, Reds 7 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 9 9:02 PM
- Zack Cozart reached on Logan Forsythe's throwing error scored Chris Heisey with two outs. On the play, Cozart advances to second on the throw. Runner on second and Ryan Hanigan due up.
Padres 1, Reds 5 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 9 8:43 PM
- Chris Heisey double to right center scored Joey Votto with two outs. Runner on second and Zack Cozart due up.
Padres 1, Reds 4 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 9 8:40 PM
- Logan Forsythe two-out, solo Home Run (5) to left. Nick Hundley due up.
Padres 1, Reds 3 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 9 8:26 PM
- Jay Bruce double to right scored Joey Votto with one out. Runner on second and Chris Heisey due up.
Padres 0, Reds 3 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 9 8:01 PM
- Joey Votto triple to right scored Todd Frazier with none out. Runner on third and Brandon Phillips due up.
Padres 0, Reds 2 Bot 3, 0 OutsAug 9 7:58 PM
- Joey Votto single to right scored Todd Frazier with one out. Runner on first and Brandon Phillips due up.
Padres 0, Reds 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 9 7:25 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 9 7:10 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22