Flores fuels Mets over DiamondbacksAug 11, 2013 - 5:23 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Wilmer Flores went 2-for-4 with three RBI to lead the New York Mets to a 4-1 win over the Arizona Diamondbacks in the middle portion of a three-game series at Chase Field.
Juan Lagares hit a solo homer and scored twice and Ike Davis went 2-for-2 with a pair of walks and a run scored for the Mets, winners in four of their last five games.
Zack Wheeler (5-2) gave up one run -- a solo homer -- and six hits over 6 1/3 innings to earn the win. The rookie struck out four without issuing a walk to improve to 4-0 over six road starts.
"I was just trying to throw strikes and get ahead of guys," Wheeler remarked. "That was the main point tonight."
LaTroy Hawkins stranded a runner on second in the ninth to notch his third save.
Aaron Hill went 2-for-4 with a solo homer for the D-backs, who had won three straight entering the contest.
Brandon McCarthy (2-6) was pegged with the loss after giving up two runs on six hits over seven innings. McCarthy is 0-2 since returning from the disabled list on Sunday.
"He gave us seven innings, two runs, and gave us a chance to win the game," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said of his starter.
The Mets jumped out to a 2-0 lead in the fourth inning. Lagares opened the frame with a homer to right-center. Later in the frame, Davis ripped a two-run double to left then scored on Flores' base hit to right field.
Hill's leadoff homer in the seventh made it 2-1, but the Mets answered with a pair of runs in the eighth to go up 4-1.
With the bases loaded and two outs, Flores stroked a single to left to score Eric Young and Lagares.
Arizona loaded the bases with two outs in the eighth inning, but Gerardo Parra was caught looking to end the threat.
New York is just 3-6 over its last nine road games ... The Mets were 2-for-8 with runners in scoring position ... Lagares also had a stolen base ... Arizona was 0-for-5 with RISP ... Saturday was Paul Goldschmidt bobblehead night. The All-Star first baseman went 1-for-4 ... Game time: 3:01
- NEW YORK: 4
Aug 10 11:11 PM
- Wilmer Flores single to left scored Eric Young and Juan Lagares with two out. On the play, Ike Davis advanced to second. Runners on first and second and John Buck due up.
Mets 4, Diamondbacks 1 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 10 10:34 PM
- Aaron Hill lead-off Home Run (6) to left center. Cody Ross due up.
Mets 2, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 10 10:03 PM
- Wilmer Flores single to right scored Ike Davis with two out. Runner on first and John Buck due up.
Mets 2, Diamondbacks 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 10 9:10 PM
- Juan Lagares lead-off Home Run (3) to right center. Daniel Murphy due up.
Mets 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 10 9:03 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 10 8:11 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21