Kershaw, Dodgers top RaysAug 12, 2013 - 5:31 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Clayton Kershaw fired eight strong innings of two-run ball in the Los Angeles Dodgers' 8-2 win over the Tampa Bay Rays to complete a three-game sweep.
Only one of Kershaw's two runs was earned. He fanned eight and surrendered just three hits and two walks over eight innings for the Dodgers, who have won 10 of their last 11 games. He also had a two-run single to open the scoring in the second.
"Clayton took care of his own business early. It was nice to get him some runs early. Clayton attacked the strike zone like he normally does and he forces you to swing early," Dodgers manager Don Mattingly said.
Mark Ellis smacked a two-run homer among his three hits to go with three RBI in the triumph.
Jeremy Hellickson allowed four runs on seven hits over just three frames for Tampa Bay, which dropped its fifth straight contest.
"We haven't given ourselves a chance the last two games. The Dodgers are very hot right now, they are getting production out of a lot of guys," Rays manager Joe Maddon said.
The Dodgers jumped out to a 6-0 lead after plating three in the second, one in the third and two in the fourth.
With the bases loaded and one away in the third, Kershaw poked a base hit to right to plate two and he came across two batters later on a Mark Ellis double. A.J. Ellis' sacrifice fly in the third and a two-run, one-out double off the bat of Adrian Gonzalez in the fourth gave LA its six-run spread.
Sam Fuld's RBI triple in the fifth got the Rays on the board before Mark Ellis' two-run homer in the sixth increased the Dodgers' lead to 8-1.
Tampa Bay loaded the bags with none away in the eighth, but only came away with a run on Wil Myers' sacrifice fly.
Five of the Dodgers' eight runs came with two outs ... Los Angeles was 3-for-9 with runners in scoring position ... Los Angeles is 37-8 over its last 45 games.
- TAMPA BAY: 2
LOS ANGELES: 8
Aug 11 10:56 PM
- Wil Myers sacrifice fly to left scored Jose Lobaton. Runners on first and second and with two outs and Evan Longoria due up.
Rays 2, Dodgers 8 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 11 10:40 PM
- Mark Ellis one-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left scored Carl Crawford. Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Rays 1, Dodgers 8 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 11 10:03 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Sam Fuld tripled to right scored Yunel Escobar. Runner on third with two outs and Jason Bourgeois due up.
Rays 1, Dodgers 6 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 11 9:39 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez doubled to right center scored Clayton Kershaw and Carl Crawford. Runner on second with two outs and Yasiel Puig due up.
Rays 0, Dodgers 6 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 11 9:24 PM
- A.J. Ellis sacrifice fly to center scored Yasiel Puig. None on with two outs and Juan Uribe due up.
Rays 0, Dodgers 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 11 9:04 PM
- Mark Ellis doubled to left scored Clayton Kershaw. On the play, Carl Crawford advances to third. Runners on second and third with two outs and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Rays 0, Dodgers 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 11 8:48 PM
- Clayton Kershaw singled to right scored Andre Ethier and A.J. Ellis. Runner on first with two outs and Carl Crawford due up.
Rays 0, Dodgers 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 11 8:43 PM
- TAMPA BAY: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 11 8:08 PM
- Rays' Kiermaier expected to miss 8-10 weeks with broken hand May 23
- Rays-Marlins Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Tigers beat Rays 9-4 but Zimmermann, Cabrera hurt May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Archer hit hard as Rays fall 9-4 to Tigers May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22