Cardinals down Cubs, avoid sweepAug 12, 2013 - 3:43 AM St. Louis, MO (Sports Network) - After losing nine of 13 games and four straight, the top of the St. Louis batting order took control before the Cardinals lost another.
Matt Carpenter, Carlos Beltran, Allen Craig and Matt Holliday combined for nine hits and five runs to lead St. Louis to an 8-4 win against the Chicago Cubs and avoid a three-game sweep.
Carpenter and Craig stood out in particular. Carpenter went 3-for-5 with two runs and an RBI and Craig went 3-for-3 with two runs and an RBI.
Beltran did have to leave the game after five innings due to a right foot contusion. Beltran, who went 1-for-3 with a run, was replaced by Matt Adams.
The Cardinals gave Joe Kelly an early lead, but after he allowed four runs -- three earned -- in 5 1/3 innings, he received a no decision. Randy Choate (2-1) got the win after recording the last out in the sixth.
"I thought the guys did a real good job of situational hitting, getting the runs in when they had money on the table," Cardinals manager Mike Matheny said.
The Cubs' Edwin Jackson escaped with a no decision despite giving up four runs in five innings. Blake Parker (1-2) took the loss after giving up a run in the sixth, as the Cubs lost for the 10th time in 14 games.
"He was missing location bad and got away with some stuff and got away with a couple walks," Sveum said of Jackson.
St. Louis wasted no time getting the lead. Carlos Beltran singled and Allen Craig walked before Matt Holliday grounded a base hit to right, scoring Beltran and giving St. Louis a 1-0 lead. Craig, who moved to third on the base hit, scored when David Freese lofted a sacrifice fly to center field. After Holliday stole second base, he scored on Jon Jay's single to cap the three-run first inning.
Holliday gave a run back in the third. After David DeJesus drew a two-out walk, Holliday dropped Junior Lake's fly ball, allowing DeJesus to score.
The Cardinals struck again in the third. Matt Carpenter doubled before Craig and Holliday walked to load the bases with one out. Carpenter scored on Freese's ground out to third to extend the Cardinals' lead to 4-1.
The Cubs got the run right back. Welington Castillo walked and reached third on Starlin Castro's two-out single in the fourth. Darwin Barney picked up an infield single to score Castillo and cut the score to 4-2.
Chicago tied the game after Castillo led off the sixth with a base hit and moved to second on Donnie Murphy's base hit. After Seth Maness replaced Joe Kelly, Castro singled to right to score Castillo and Murphy scored on Barney's base hit to center field, tying the game at four.
In the bottom half of the sixth, St. Louis regained the lead. Tony Cruz picked up a two-out double and scored on Pete Kozma's single to center field.
St. Louis added some cushion in the seventh. Craig and Holliday started the inning with back-to-back singles and Freese followed with a walk to load the bases with one out in the seventh inning. Jay gave the Cardinals an insurance run with a sacrifice fly, making the score 6-4.
Carpenter doubled home Daniel Descalso and Craig picked up a double to score Carpenter in the eighth to cap the scoring and give St. Louis an 8-4 lead.
Holliday went 2-for-3 and extended hit hitting streak to nine games and on- base streak to 17 games ... Despite the loss, the Cubs still posted their first winning series in St. Louis since sweeping the Cardinals in a three-game set from September 13-15, 2010 ... Castillo, who went 1-for-4, is hitting .405 (17-for-42) with three doucles, two home runs and six RBI in 15 games dating back to July 25 ... St. Louis went 4-for-12 with runners in scoring position and stranded nine while Chicago hit 3-for-12 with RISP and left nine on base.
- CHICAGO: 4
ST. LOUIS: 8
Aug 11 6:01 PM
- Allen Craig doubled to left scored Matt Carpenter with two outs. Runner on second and Matt Holliday due up.
Cubs 4, Cardinals 8 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 11 5:54 PM
- Matt Carpenter doubled to right scored Daniel Descalso with one out. Runner on second and Matt Adams due up.
Cubs 4, Cardinals 7 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 11 5:45 PM
- Jon Jay sacrifice fly out to right scored Allen Craig with two outs. Runners on first and second and Tony Cruz due up.
Cubs 4, Cardinals 6 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 11 5:24 PM
- Pete Kozma singled to center scored Tony Cruz with two outs. Pete Kozma to second on the throw. Runner on second and Randy Choate due up.
Cubs 4, Cardinals 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 11 4:47 PM
- Darwin Barney singled to center scored Donnie Murphy with one out. On the play, Starlin Castro advances to second. Runners on first and second and Edwin Jackson due up.
Cubs 4, Cardinals 4 Top 6, 1 OutAug 11 4:34 PM
- Starlin Castro singled to right scored Welington Castillo with one out. On the play, Donnie Murphy advances to second. Runners on first and second and Darwin Barney due up.
Cubs 3, Cardinals 4 Top 6, 1 OutAug 11 4:27 PM
- Darwin Barney singled to short scored Welington Castillo with two outs. On the play, Starlin Castro advances to second. Runners on first and second and Edwin Jackson due up.
Cubs 2, Cardinals 4 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 11 3:35 PM
- David Freese grounded out third to first scored Matt Carpenter with two outs. On the play, Matt Holliday advances to second and Allen Craig advances to third. Runners on second and third and Jon Jay due up.
Cubs 1, Cardinals 4 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 11 3:23 PM
- Junior Lake reached second on Matt Holliday's fielding error scored David DeJesus with two outs. Runner on second and Anthony Rizzo due up.
Cubs 1, Cardinals 3 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 11 3:09 PM
- Jon Jay singled to center scored Matt Holliday with two outs. Runner on first and Tony Cruz due up.
Cubs 0, Cardinals 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 11 2:37 PM
- David Freese sacrifice fly out to center scored Allen Craig with two outs. Runner on first and Jon Jay due up.
Cubs 0, Cardinals 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 11 2:35 PM
- Matt Holliday singled to right scored Carlos Beltran with one out. On the play, Allen Craig advances to third. Runners on first and third and David Freese due up.
Cubs 0, Cardinals 1 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 11 2:34 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 11 2:16 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21