Brown's blast leads Mets by DiamondbacksAug 12, 2013 - 3:48 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Andrew Brown delivered a pinch-hit three-run home run and the New York Mets defeated the Arizona Diamondbacks, 9-5, in the rubber match of a three-game series.
Wilmer Flores had a home run, Anthony Recker and Omar Quintanilla drove in a run apiece and Ike Davis scored three times for the Mets, who have won five of their last six games.
Jonathon Niese (4-6) returned after missing nearly two months with a partial tear of the left rotator cuff. He gave up four runs on seven hits and a walk through six frames.
"It's just good to get back out there with all the guys. I'm glad it went well," Niese said.
Aaron Hill had four RBI, including a three-run homer, while Cliff Pennington drove in a run for the Diamondbacks. Starter Zeke Spruill (0-2) lasted just three innings, surrendering five runs -- one earned -- on six hits and a pair of walks.
Arizona also lost Cody Ross to a dislocated right hip. He was trying to beat out a grounder in the first inning but stumbled and fell to the ground. He was lifted by a stretcher onto a cart and driven off the field. Martin Prado switched from third base to left field while Matt Davidson, making his major league debut, took over at third.
The Mets scored four runs in the first. With two out and the bases loaded, Mike Baxter hit a line drive that bobbled out of first baseman Paul Goldschmidt's glove, allowing all of the runners to score. Recker followed with an RBI double to left.
"We had a terrible first inning today," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said.
Hill responded in the home half with a two-out RBI double, plating A.J. Pollock, who hit an infield single to lead off.
New York extended its lead in the third. Ike Davis hit a single to start the inning and, two batters later, Baxter followed with a single. After Recker flew out, Quintanilla singled to center to score Davis.
However, Hill kept the Diamondbacks alive in the bottom of the inning with a three-run shot to left. Pollock singled and Paul Goldschmidt walked prior to the homer.
After Davis walked and Flores singled, Brown clubbed a three-run homer of his own in the Mets' seventh to grab an 8-4 lead.
In the bottom of the eighth, Gerardo Parra ripped a one-out double to right and scored on Pennington's base hit to center field.
Wilmer Flores' first career home run came with one out in the ninth and accounted for the final margin.
LaTroy Hawkins pitched a 1-2-3 ninth to end the game.
Davidson was recalled from Triple-A Reno prior to the game. In addition, the Diamondbacks placed infielder Eric Chavez on the 15-day disabled list and optioned pitcher David Hernandez to Reno ... Davidson went 1-for-3 ... Hill is batting .392 with three home runs and 12 RBI over his last 13 games ... The Mets are 8-5 in rubber games this season, including 5-1 on the road ... Recker entered the game with a career .054 batting average with runners in scoring position ... The Mets were 3-for-12 with RISP.
- NEW YORK: 9
Aug 11 7:19 PM
- Wilmer Flores one-out, solo Home Run (1) to right. Andrew Brown due up.
Mets 9, Diamondbacks 5 Top 9, 1 OutAug 11 7:09 PM
- Cliff Pennington single to center scored Gerardo Parra with two out. Runner on first and Eury De La Rosa due up.
Mets 8, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 11 7:00 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Andrew Brown one-out, three-run Home Run (4) to left scored Ike Davis and Wilmer Flores. Anthony Recker due up.
Mets 8, Diamondbacks 4 Top 7, 1 OutAug 11 6:25 PM
- Aaron Hill one-out, three-run Home Run (7) to left scored A.J. Pollock and Paul Goldschmidt. Matt Davidson due up.
Mets 5, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 11 5:17 PM
- Omar Quintanilla single to center scored Ike Davis with two out. On the play, Mike Baxter out at home, center to second to catcher to end the inning.
Mets 5, Diamondbacks 1 Mid 3Aug 11 5:11 PM
- Aaron Hill double to left scored A.J. Pollock with two out. Runner on second and Cody Ross due up.
Mets 4, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 11 4:36 PM
- Anthony Recker double to left scored Mike Baxter with two out. Runner on second and Omar Quintanilla due up.
Mets 4, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 11 4:24 PM
- Mike Baxter reached second on Paul Goldschmidt's fielding error scored Daniel Murphy, Ike Davis and Wilmer Flores with two out. Runner on second and Anthony Recker due up.
Mets 3, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 11 4:23 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 11 4:10 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21