Dodgers keep rolling, rally past MetsAug 13, 2013 - 5:52 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Yasiel Puig's sacrifice fly capped a three- run sixth inning as the Los Angeles Dodgers rallied past the New York Mets, 4-2, in the opener of a three-game set at Chavez Ravine.
Adrian Gonzalez had three hits and an RBI and Nick Punto clubbed a solo shot for the Dodgers, winners in six straight and 38 of their last 46 games dating back to June 22.
Ricky Nolasco (9-9) gave up two runs on seven hits over 6 1/3 innings to win his third straight start. Kenley Jansen stranded a pair of runners in the eighth and retired the side in order in the ninth to notch his 18th save of the season.
"I just concentrated on making good pitches and our defense made some big plays. We're never out of any game," said Nolasco
John Buck and Omar Quintanilla each had two hits and an RBI for the Mets, who had won five of six entering the contest.
Jenrry Mejia (1-2) allowed three runs -- two earned -- on six hits over six innings.
"Jenrry threw the ball very well and kept it down in the zone," said Mets manager Terry Collins. "We had opportunities to score runs, but we didn't put the ball in play."
Carl Crawford and Mark Ellis hit back-to-back singles to open the home six. Adrian Gonzalez followed with a base hit to center to score Crawford. Mets center fielder Juan Lagares' throw to third bounced out of play to allow Ellis to come around. Puig followed with a sacrifice fly to left to plate the go- ahead run.
Punto added a homer to right in the seventh off Carlos Torres, just after the Mets left the bases full in the top half. Ronald Belisario caught Lagares looking at strike three and Paco Rodriguez retired Daniel Murphy on a line out to right.
Jansen struck out pinch-hitter Justin Turner with two men on in the eighth.
The Mets took a 2-0 lead in the second inning. With two on and no outs, Buck ripped a single to center to score Ike Davis. Quintanilla followed with a base hit through the hole on the right side to bring Wilmer Flores home.
With the win, LA passed the 1953 Brooklyn Dodgers for the best record over a 46-game stretch since 1900 ... The Dodgers are 21-3 since the All-Star break ... LA's Hyun-Jin Ryu will battle Mets' All-Star hurler Matt Harvey on Tuesday ... The Mets were 3-for-10 with runners in scoring position and left nine runners on base ... The Mets are 29-30 on the road this season ... Flores had a five-game RBI streak snapped.
- NEW YORK: 2
LOS ANGELES: 4
Aug 13 1:01 AM
- Nick Punto one-out, solo Home Run (2) to right. Skip Schumaker due up.
Mets 2, Dodgers 4 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 13 12:24 AM
- Yasiel Puig sacrifice fly to left scored Adrian Gonzalez. None on with one out and Andre Ethier due up.
Mets 2, Dodgers 3 Bot 6, 1 OutAug 12 11:51 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez singled to left center. On the play, Juan Legare's throwing error scored Carl Crawford and Mark Ellis. Runner on third with none out and Yasiel Puig due up.
Mets 2, Dodgers 2 Bot 6, 0 OutsAug 12 11:49 PM
- Omar Quintanilla singled to right scored Wilmer Flores. On the play, John Buck advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Jenrry Mejia due up.
Mets 2, Dodgers 0 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 12 10:34 PM
- John Buck singled to right center scored Ike Davis. On the play, Wilmer Flores advances to third. Runners on first and third with none out and Omar Quintanilla due up.
Mets 1, Dodgers 0 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 12 10:33 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 12 10:12 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22