Chacin, Rockies pound PadresAug 13, 2013 - 4:54 AM Denver, CO (Sports Network) - Jhoulys Chacin pitched eight strong innings and Dexter Fowler drove in four runs, as the Colorado Rockies blasted the San Diego Padres, 14-2, on a rainy night at Coors Field.
Wilin Rosario singled in two runs in the opening inning and DJ LeMahieu homered to begin a three-run second, as the Rockies coasted to their fourth consecutive victory, their longest winning streak since a season-best eight- game run, April 12-20.
Chacin (11-6) allowed five hits, including Jaff Decker's first career homer.
"He's really throwing the ball well. He's on a good run. He's getting the changeup, two-seamer working," Rockies manager Walt Weiss said.
Rosario had three RBI and LeMahieu went 3-for-4 with two RBI and three runs scored. Nolan Arenado contributed four hits and drove in a run.
The opener of this three-game set was delayed 63 minutes by rain entering the bottom of the eighth inning. The Rockies scored six times in the eighth.
Edinson Volquez (8-10) gave up nine hits and eight runs over 4 1/3 innings. The right-hander, who was 5-0 over his past 10 road starts, suffered his first away defeat since April 7 at Coors Field.
"His stuff was fine. They squared some pitches up all night," Padres manager Bud Black said. "They hit a lot of balls out of our reach. We just couldn't stop them early."
The Padres, who had six hits and four errors, lost for the fifth time in six games. Jedd Gyorko also hit a solo homer.
Corey Dickerson doubled in a run in the second and scored on Chase Headley's error at third base for a 5-0 lead. Headley couldn't handle Troy Tulowitzki's grounder and then bounced the throw to first base.
Chacin had a sacrifice fly and Fowler a two-run single in the fifth inning.
Decker homered in the seventh to break the shutout and Chacin worked through the raindrops in a 1-2-3 eighth before the rain intensified.
Colorado sent 10 men to the plate in the bottom portion, highlighted by Fowler's two-run double. It was a pitiful fielding display for the Padres. First baseman Yonder Alonso should have recorded an out, but he dropped an easy throw from pitcher Colt Hynes, who was charged with six hits and six runs over one inning.
The Padres put runners at the corners in the opening inning, but LeMahieu made a great sliding stop on Alonso's ground ball to start a double play. From his knees, LeMahieu threw to shortstop Tulowitzki, who then completed the double play with a strong throw to first.
Volquez fell to 1-6 with an 8.52 ERA in 10 starts against NL West teams this season ... Colorado leads the season series, 11-3 ... The Rockies have now gone 387 consecutive games without a pitcher throwing a complete game victory, last done June 1, 2011 by Ubaldo Jimenez.
- SAN DIEGO: 2
Aug 13 12:22 AM
- Jedd Gyorko two-out, solo Home Run (11) to right center. Logan Forsythe due up.
Padres 2, Rockies 14 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 13 12:21 AM
- Dexter Fowler double to left center scored Nolan Arenado and DJ LeMahieu with two outs. On the play Dexter fowler was tagged out between second and third, Chad Bettis advances to third. Runner on third and Corey Dickerson due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 14 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 13 12:15 AM
- DJ LeMahieu single to center scored Charlie Culberson with one out. On the play, Nolan Arenado advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jhoulys Chacin due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 12 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 13 12:12 AM
- Nolan Arenado single to center scored Wilin Rosario with none out. On the play, Charlie Culberson advances to second. Runners on first and second and Charlie Blackmon due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 11 Bot 8, 0 OutsAug 13 12:08 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Charlie Culberson single to left scored Jonathan Herrera with none out. On the play, Wilin Rosario advances to second. Runners on first and second and Nolan Arenado due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 10 Bot 8, 0 OutsAug 13 12:08 AM
- Wilin Rosario single to right scored Corey Dickerson with none out. On the play, Jonathan Herrera advances to second. Runners on first and second and Todd Helton due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 9 Bot 8, 0 OutsAug 13 12:07 AM
- Jaff Decker two-out, solo Home Run (1) to right. Nick Hundley due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 8 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 12 10:43 PM
- Dexter Fowler single to right scored Charlie Blackmon and DJ LeMahieu with two outs. Runner on first and Corey Dickerson due up.
Padres 0, Rockies 8 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 12 10:22 PM
- Jhoulys Chacin sacrifice fly to right scored Nolan Arenado with two outs. On the play, Charlie Blackmon advances to third. Runners on first and third and Dexter Fowler due up.
Padres 0, Rockies 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 12 10:20 PM
- Troy Tulowitzki reached first on Chase Headley's fielding error scored Corey Dickerson with one out. Runner on first and Wilin Rosario due up.
Padres 0, Rockies 5 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 12 9:27 PM
- Corey Dickerson double to center scored Dexter Fowler with one out. Runner on second and Troy Tulowitzki due up.
Padres 0, Rockies 4 Bot 2, 1 OutAug 12 9:23 PM
- DJ LeMahieu lead-off Home Run (2) to left. Jhoulys Chacin due up.
Padres 0, Rockies 3 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 12 9:16 PM
- Wilin Rosario single to left scored Dexter Fowler and Corey Dickerson with one out. Runner on first and Todd Helton due up.
Padres 0, Rockies 2 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 12 8:58 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 12 8:41 PM
- Ventura: Relievers, media pose threats to Bradley's streak May 23
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22