Eaton lifts D'backs past OriolesAug 13, 2013 - 5:33 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - Adam Eaton deposited the first pitch he saw in the ninth inning into the pool beyond the wall in right-center, and the leadoff home run sent the Arizona Diamondbacks past the Baltimore Orioles, 7-6, in the first of three interleague games at Chase Field.
Chris Davis tied things in the away eighth with a solo home run -- his league- leading 43rd of the season -- and Wil Nieves answered in the bottom half with his first of the year to nearly the same spot, though his hit the top of the wall and bounced halfway up the left-field bleachers where Davis' landed.
Brad Ziegler was unable to close out the victory in the ninth, as he loaded the bases with one out and gave up a sacrifice fly to Nick Markakis.
Ziegler (6-1) retired Manny Machado to get out of the inning, and Eaton connected on his first home run of the season on Darren O'Day's (5-2) first pitch to give the D'backs their eighth walk-off win and the 24th victory in their last-at-bat.
"I thought I hit a heater, but apparently I hit a slider. I caught it out front and was happy with the result," Eaton said.
Like Eaton, Aaron Hill had two hits, a home run and two RBI in the win, Arizona's fourth in six games.
Brian Roberts went 2-for-3 and knocked in a pair of runs, while Matt Wieters added a solo homer for Baltimore, which fell to 4-2 in its eight-game road trip against NL West opponents.
Neither starter factored in the decision. Arizona's Wade Miley gave up four runs on seven hits over seven innings, and his counterpart, Scott Feldman, last just 5 1/3 innings and was charged with two runs -- one earned -- on four hits and a pair of walk.
Miley's 10th wild pitch of the season allowed Markakis to score in the first inning, and Roberts singled in J.J. Hardy in the second for a 2-0 lead.
Arizona got the runs back in its half of the second, which started with Hill launching his third home run in as many games and saw Gerardo Parra score on a questionable defensive interference call on Machado.
"It's the wrong call, a lapse in judgement," said Orioles manager Buck Showalter said, referencing Parra barely bumping into Machado as he was rounding third base. "(Parra) was out by three steps. It's unfortunate in a one-run game."
Parra wasn't playing no-doubles defense when Roberts doubled over his head with two outs in the fourth inning, allowing Steve Pearce to score the go- ahead run from first for a 3-2 Baltimore lead.
Wieters took Miley deep over the center-field wall in the sixth for his 16th home run of the year, but the Diamondbacks took the lead, 6-5, in the seventh on RBI singles from Eaton, Hill and Martin Prado.
The D'backs lead the majors with 25 one-run wins and are 10-1 in their last 11 interleague game at Chase Field ... Feldman recorded eight strikeouts ... The D'backs placed outfielder Cody Ross on the 15-day disabled list Monday due to a disclosed hip, optioned pitcher Zeke Spruill to Triple-A Reno and recalled pitchers Chaz Roe and Tyler Skaggs from Reno ... The Orioles have never won a series against Arizona in four tries.
- BALTIMORE: 6
Aug 13 1:06 AM
- Adam Eaton lead-off Home Run (1) to right to end the game.
Orioles 6, Diamondbacks 7 Bot 9, 0 OutsAug 13 1:01 AM
- Nick Markakis sacrifice fly out to center scored Alexi Casilla with two out. Runners on first and second and Manny Machado due up.
Orioles 6, Diamondbacks 6 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 13 12:55 AM
- Wil Nieves lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Didi Gregorius due up.
Orioles 5, Diamondbacks 6 Bot 8, 0 OutsAug 13 12:31 AM
- Chris Davis two-out, solo Home Run (43) to left. J.J. Hardy due up.
Orioles 5, Diamondbacks 5 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 13 12:22 AM
- Martin Prado single to right scored Adam Eaton with two out. On the play, Aaron Hill advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Gerardo Parra due up.
Orioles 4, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 13 12:07 AM
- Aaron Hill single to center scored Matt Davidson with two out. On the play, Adam Eaton advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Martin Prado due up.
Orioles 4, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 7, 2 OutsAug 13 12:06 AM
- Adam Eaton single to center scored Didi Gregorius with one out. On the play, Matt Davidson advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Orioles 4, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 13 12:01 AM
- Matt Wieters two-out, solo Home Run (16) to center. Steve Pearce due up.
Orioles 4, Diamondbacks 2 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 12 11:32 PM
- Brian Roberts double to right scored Steve Pearce with two out. Runner on second and Scott Feldman due up.
Orioles 3, Diamondbacks 2 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 12 10:53 PM
- Gerardo Parra stole third and scored on defensive interference error on Manny Machado. None on with two outs and Didi Gregorius at the plate.
Orioles 2, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 12 10:26 PM
- Aaron Hill lead-off Home Run (8) to left center. Martin Prado due up.
Orioles 2, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsAug 12 10:12 PM
- Brian Roberts single to left scored J.J. Hardy with one out. On the play, Steve Pearce advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Scott Feldman due up.
Orioles 2, Diamondbacks 0 Top 2, 1 OutAug 12 10:03 PM
- Nick Markakis scored on a Wade Miley wild pitch with two out. None on and Chris Davis at the plate.
Orioles 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 12 9:46 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 12 9:40 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 21