Not even Harvey can slow down DodgersAug 14, 2013 - 5:49 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - A.J. Ellis and Nick Punto each knocked in two runs and Hyun-Jin Ryu marveled over seven strong innings as the surging Los Angeles Dodgers won their seventh straight with a 4-2 win over the New York Mets.
Ryu (12-3) allowed a first inning homer to Juan Lagares, but scattered just four more hits over the remainder of his start. He is unbeaten in his last nine outings, picking up six wins over the stretch.
The Dodgers have lost just three times since the All-Star break and have remarkably posted victories in 39 of their last 47 games. The last team to accomplish that feat was the 1951 New York Giants.
New York came into this series winners in five of six, but have dropped the first two of this three-game set. Matt Harvey (9-4) was off his game, responsible for all the Dodgers' runs on eight hits over six frames.
"He made a lot of mistakes, a lot of breaking balls on the plate," said Mets manager Terry Collins. "He got out of a couple jams with some double plays, but he's human."
The Mets' defense helped Harvey keep the Dodgers scoreless through four innings, turning double plays in each of the last three frames, but LA's bats finally broke through in the fifth.
A.J. Ellis and Juan Uribe each reached with one out and Punto drove a double into left to plate both runners and stake the Dodgers to a 2-1 lead.
Mark Ellis and Yasiel Puig helped the Dodgers pad their advantage an inning later, with both reaching on singles and later scoring on A.J. Ellis' two-out grounder through the left side.
Harvey, coming off his first career shutout, allowed four runs for the first time since a start against the Diamondbacks on July 3, when he gave up five.
"I just couldn't locate anything," Harvey said.
Ryu retired nine in a row while the Dodger offense was putting him in line for the win. Justin Turner reached second base in the seventh, but was stranded there when Omar Quintanilla flied out to deep right field.
"Ryu matched their guy pitch for pitch, he used all of his pitches and he made his pitches when he had to," said A.J. Ellis. "We have a confidence right now that everyday we're going to find a way to win."
John Buck delivered a two-out RBI single in the ninth, but Kenley Jansen notched his 19th save by getting pinch-hitter Ike Davis to ground out to end the game.
New York third baseman Wilmer Flores was not in the starting lineup. He twisted his ankle in the second inning of Monday's loss ... It's the Dodgers' first seven-game win streak since 2010, when they had a nine-game run ... LA has won eight of its last nine games with the Mets.
- NEW YORK: 2
LOS ANGELES: 4
Aug 14 12:51 AM
- John Buck single to center scored Josh Satin with two out. Runner on first with two outs and Omar Quintanilla due up.
Mets 2, Dodgers 4 Top 9, 2 OutsAug 14 12:51 AM
- A.J. Ellis single to left scored Mark Ellis and Yasiel Puig with two out. A.J. Ellis advances to second on the throw home. Runner on second with two outs and Juan Uribe due up.
Mets 1, Dodgers 4 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 13 11:58 PM
- Nick Punto double to left scored A.J. Ellis and Juan Uribe with one out. Runner on second with one out and Hyun-Jin Ryu due up.
Mets 1, Dodgers 2 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 13 11:37 PM
- Juan Lagares one-out, solo Home Run (4). Daniel Murphy due up.
Mets 1, Dodgers 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 13 10:13 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 13 10:11 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22