Gonzalez's game-winning hit lifts Dodgers over Mets in 12Aug 15, 2013 - 7:02 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Yasiel Puig legged out a double on a slow rolling grounder and came home to score on Adrian Gonzalez's line drive down the left-field line, as the Los Angeles Dodgers prevailed in 12 innings over the New York Mets, 5-4, to complete a three-game sweep and extend their winning streak to eight games.
The Dodgers continue to find ways to win, 40 times in the last 48 games, in fact. They trailed by four runs after five innings on Wednesday, but chipped away to stay within striking distance.
LaTroy Hawkins blew the save for New York in the ninth, denying Dillon Gee of his ninth win. He served up a two-run, game-tying homer to pinch-hitter Andre Ethier that sent the game to extra innings.
"It was a fastball away and I got it all," Ethier said of his homer. "It's nice to be part of something we've got going here."
When his hit in the 12th through the middle deflected off the glove of shortstop Omar Quintanilla, Puig never stopped running and came flying in to slide into second safely.
Gonzalez handed Pedro Feliciano (0-1) the loss with his liner down the third- base line.
After Ethier's one-out blast past the left-field wall tied the game for the Dodgers, the Mets' offense went silent. They managed just two singles in extra innings, with Paco Rodriguez (3-2) turning in 1 1/3 innings of relief to earn the victory for the Dodgers.
Marlon Byrd ended 3-for-6 with a three-run homer. He fell a triple short of the cycle as New York ended up spoiling a solid performance from Gee, who permitted the Dodgers to just two runs on seven hits and one walk.
"Dillon kept us in the game and threw the ball well," Mets manager Terry Collins said of his starter. "(The Dodgers) are playing good ball and they're pitching very well. You're never happy when you lose three straight when you had a chance to win."
Hanley Ramirez returned to the Dodgers' lineup to make his first start in 10 games since injuring his shoulder on Aug. 4. He finished 2-for-5.
Puig was able to erase Byrd by gunning him out at third on Justin Turner's shallow base hit in the second, but the Dodgers couldn't keep the Mets from scoring. Ike Davis reached when he grounded into a force out, stole second and then trotted home on Andrew Brown's double into right.
Byrd made up for his base running blunder in the third, following singles from Daniel Murphy and Josh Satin with his first homer since July 21 to stake New York to a 4-0 lead.
Carl Crawford stunted the Dodgers' home fourth, getting picked off first base before the team followed with three consecutive singles to pack the bags. Mark Ellis flew out to end the inning.
Gee flirted with danger again in the sixth, serving up one-out hits to Gonzalez and Ramirez, whose double into the left-field gap placed runners at second and third.
Ellis came up after Gee plunked Skip Schumaker on the foot and was able to bring in a run when he beat out a potential inning-ending double-play ground ball. Jerry Hairston then sent a grounder past the diving reach of Murphy at second to make it 4-2.
Former Met Chris Capuano made the start for Los Angeles, yielding 10 hits, four runs and two walks over five innings ... The Dodgers have won nine of their last 10 meetings with the Mets ... Los Angeles has won in Capuano's last six starts ... The home run was Byrd's 100th of his career ... Los Angeles has won a franchise record 12 consecutive one-run games.
- NEW YORK: 4
LOS ANGELES: 5
Aug 15 2:25 AM
- Adrian Gonzalez double to left scored Yasiel Puig with one out to end the game.
Mets 4, Dodgers 5 Bot 12, 1 OutAug 15 2:23 AM
- Pinch-Hitter Andre Ethier one-out, two-run Home Run (8) to left scored Mark Ellis. Juan Uribe due up.
Mets 4, Dodgers 4 Bot 9, 1 OutAug 15 1:28 AM
- Jerry Hairston single to center scored Hanley Ramirez with two out. On the play, Mark Ellis advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Tim Federowicz due up.
Mets 4, Dodgers 2 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 15 12:12 AM
- Mark Ellis reached first on a fielder's choice, short to second that scored Adrian Gonzalez with two out. Skip Schumaker out at second as Hanley Ramirez advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Jerry Hairston due up.
Mets 4, Dodgers 1 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 15 12:11 AM
- Marlon Byrd one-out, three-run Home Run (18) to left center scored Daniel Murphy and Josh Satin. Justin Turner due up.
Mets 4, Dodgers 0 Top 3, 1 OutAug 14 10:54 PM
- Andrew Brown double to right scored Ike Davis with two out. Runner on second and John Buck due up.
Mets 1, Dodgers 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 14 10:34 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 14 10:12 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22