D'backs win again on late game heroics, sweep OriolesAug 15, 2013 - 6:50 AM Phoenix, AZ (Sports Network) - After Paul Goldschmidt's heroics Tuesday, Aaron Hill came up with his own double-double.
Hill tied the game in the ninth inning with a single and his game-winning hit in the bottom of the 14th lifted the Arizona Diamondbacks to a 5-4 win over the Baltimore Orioles to complete a three-game sweep.
Goldschmidt homered in the ninth Tuesday to tie it and again in the 11th to win the game.
Bud Norris (8-10) replaced Tommy Hunter, who struck out four over three perfect innings, in the 14th and immediately walked Gerardo Parra and Martin Prado to begin the frame.
After Goldschmidt struck out, Hill sent a soft grounder up the middle that just snuck past the glove of a diving Brian Roberts to give Arizona its third straight walk-off win.
"For me it was just get the ball up, see if I can get something that I can drive," Hill said of the at-bat. "I got a fastball middle-away."
It's the Diamondbacks' fifth straight triumph in their final at-bat.
Heath Bell (4-1) worked a scoreless top of the 14th to notch his second win in as many nights for Arizona, which recorded its 10th walk-off win and 26th in its last at-bat. Josh Collmenter fanned five over three scoreless innings in the win.
Manny Machado smacked a two-run homer among his three hits for the Orioles, who have dropped four of their last five games.
"They never quit and they came back on us. There's nothing you can do about that," O's outfielder Adam Jones said of Arizona.
Trailing 4-3 entering the ninth against Jim Johnson, Parra led off the frame with a double. He was unable to advance to third when Prado tried to bunt him over. The O's then intentionally walked Goldschmidt to bring up Hill, who ripped a base hit to left field, plating Parra to knot the tilt.
Earlier, Arizona struck first in the opening frame on Matt Davidson's two-out RBI single, but the O's answered and pushed across four runs in the second.
Taylor Teagarden and Roberts had one-out singles in the second before a Chris Tillman groundout moved both runners up a base. Nick Markakis plated Teagarden and Roberts after depositing a base hit into left-center. Machado stepped up next and belted a two-run shot deep into the seats in left-center to make it 4-1.
Arizona answered in the home half on Parra's RBI triple and the D-backs whittled the deficit further in the seventh. Prado's RBI single made it 4-3, but with runners on first and second with one away, Darren O'Day got Hill to fly out to center and Davidson to pop out to shortstop and end the threat.
Arizona starter Patrick Corbin fanned seven, but allowed four runs on nine hits and a walk over seven innings, while Tillman surrendered two runs on five hits and three walks over six frames in the start for Baltimore ... The Diamondbacks were 5-for-17 with runners in scoring position, while Baltimore finished 2-for-11 with RISP ... Davidson's RBI was the first of his career.
- BALTIMORE: 4
Aug 14 8:14 PM
- Aaron Hill single to center scored Gerardo Parra to end the game.
Orioles 4, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 14, 1 OutAug 14 8:09 PM
- Aaron Hill single to left scored Gerardo Parra. On the play, Paul Goldschmidt advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Matt Davidson due up.
Orioles 4, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 9, 1 OutAug 14 6:39 PM
- Martin Prado single to left scored Tony Campana. Runner on first with one out and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Orioles 4, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 14 5:59 PM
- Gerardo Parra triple to center scored Didi Gregorius. Runner on third with two outs and Martin Prado due up.
Orioles 4, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 14 4:26 PM
- Manny Machado two-out, two-run Home Run (11) to left center scored Nick Markakis. Adam Jones due up.
Orioles 4, Diamondbacks 1 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 14 4:15 PM
- Nick Markakis single to left scored Taylor Teagarden and Brian Roberts. Runner on first with two outs and Manny Machado due up.
Orioles 2, Diamondbacks 1 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 14 4:14 PM
- Matt Davidson single to third scored Martin Prado. On the play, Aaron Hill advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Wil Nieves due up.
Orioles 0, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 14 4:02 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 14 3:41 PM
- Orioles-Astros Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Perez's 5 RBIs help Weaver and Angels top Orioles 10-2 May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Shoemaker strikes out 12, Angels lose 3-1 to Orioles May 22
- Wieters homers in ninth to lift Orioles past Angels, 3-1 May 22
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21
- Orioles-Angels Preview May 21