Cardinals take series from Bucs with 12th-inning heroicsAug 16, 2013 - 3:37 AM St. Louis, MO (Sports Network) - Matt Holliday's RBI single in the bottom of the 12th lifted the St. Louis Cardinals over the Pittsburgh Pirates, 6-5, in the rubber match of a three-game series.
Bryan Morris (5-6), who pitched a scoreless 11th, stayed on to pitch the 12th for the Pirates. With one out, Matt Carpenter walked and Jon Jay singled to put runners on the corners. Holliday followed with the game-winning hit to center.
Carpenter finished 4-for-5 with an RBI and two runs scored for the Cardinals, who moved within two games of Pittsburgh for first place in the NL Central. Holliday and Daniel Descalso each knocked in two runs.
"Every team is going to face adversity and have the ups and downs," said Holliday. "We play the Pirates a lot in the last few weeks so winning these games is going to be important for us."
St. Louis starter Lance Lynn allowed four runs on eight hits while striking out six over 5 1/3 innings. Kevin Siegrist (1-1) got the win after pitching a scoreless top of the 12th.
Russell Martin and Clint Barmes homered for the Pirates, who have lost five of six. Andrew Lambo and Neil Walker added an RBI apiece.
A.J. Burnett got the start for Pittsburgh and gave up five runs on eight hits over 4 1/3 innings.
"They're aggressive at times and they're passive at times," Burnett said. "It's on me tonight."
After four scoreless innings, the teams combined for nine runs in the fifth. Garrett Jones started the top half with a single and raced home on Lambo's double to right-center field. Barmes followed with a two-run homer to left. The scoring continued when Starling Marte tripled to right-center field and crossed the plate on Walker's sacrifice fly.
St. Louis responded with five runs in the bottom half. Matt Adams singled and David Freese doubled to get things going. Descalso followed with a two-run single to center. Carpenter's triple to right plated Descalso. Jay added an RBI single to right and scored himself on Holliday's double to left-center field on a ball which sailed past a diving Andrew McCutchen.
The Pirates were close to tying the game in the seventh. Pinch-hitter Josh Harrison doubled to right-center field and moved to third on a sacrifice bunt. Harrison got caught in a rundown between third and home when Walker hit a grounder to first.
Pittsburgh did manage to tie the contest in the eighth when Martin homered off Trevor Rosenthal.
Pittsburgh fell to 8-5 against St. Louis this season ... Lambo's double in the fifth was his first hit in the big leagues ... Cardinals catcher Yadier Molina went 0-for-5 in his return to the lineup. Molina and outfielder Shane Robinson were activated from the 15-day disabled list prior to Thursday's game. The Cardinals also placed catcher Tony Cruz on the 15-day disabled list and optioned infielder Jermaine Curtis to Triple-A Memphis ... Marte is the first Pirate since Jack Wilson in 2004 to have at least 10 doubles, 10 triples and 10 HR in a season.
- PITTSBURGH: 5
ST. LOUIS: 6
Aug 15 6:03 PM
- Matt Holliday single to center scored Matt Carpenter with one out to end the game.
Pirates 5, Cardinals 6 Bot 12, 1 OutAug 15 5:59 PM
- Russell Martin lead-off Home Run (11) to right. Gaby Sanchez due up.
Pirates 5, Cardinals 5 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 15 4:33 PM
- Matt Holliday double to left, deflected by center scored Jon Jay with one out. Runner on second and Allen Craig due up.
Pirates 4, Cardinals 5 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 15 3:32 PM
- Jon Jay single to right scored Matt Carpenter with one out. Runner on first and Matt Holliday due up.
Pirates 4, Cardinals 4 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 15 3:30 PM
- Matt Carpenter triple to right scored Daniel Descalso with one out. Runner on third and Jon Jay due up.
Pirates 4, Cardinals 3 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 15 3:26 PM
- Daniel Descalso single to center scored Matt Adams and David Freese with none out. Runner on first and Lance Lynn due up.
Pirates 4, Cardinals 2 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 15 3:19 PM
- Neil Walker sacrifice fly to center scored Starling Marte with two out. None on and Andrew McCutchen due up.
Pirates 4, Cardinals 0 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 15 3:09 PM
- Clint Barmes none-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Andrew Lambo. A.J. Burnett due up.
Pirates 3, Cardinals 0 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 15 3:01 PM
- Andrew Lambo double to center scored Garrett Jones with none out. Runner on second and Clint Barmes due up.
Pirates 1, Cardinals 0 Top 5, 0 OutsAug 15 2:59 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 15 1:46 PM
- Pirates' Vogelsong hit in head by pitch, leaves game May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates postponed after 1 inning; makeup on Monday May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Closer Melancon takes first loss as Pirates fall to Rockies May 22
- Adames' first homer caps 4-run 9th as Rockies win 4-1 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Rockies-Pirates Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21