Home runs spur Mets past PadresAug 17, 2013 - 6:41 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Daniel Murphy hit a two-run homer and Marlon Byrd and Ike Davis added solo shots as the New York Mets clipped the San Diego Padres, 5-2, on Friday.
Eric Young drove in a run and Anthony Recker went 3-for-3 with a run scored for the Mets, who have taken the first two tilts of this four-game set.
Jon Niese (5-6) gave up six hits, including a solo homer, and struck out a season-high nine batters to pick up his second straight win. LaTroy Hawkins worked a scoreless ninth to nail down his fourth save of the season.
Will Venable hit a solo homer and Yonder Alonso added an RBI for the Padres, losers in five of their last six.
Ian Kennedy (4-9) was tagged for five runs on seven hits and four walks while striking out seven over 4 2/3 innings. Kennedy is 1-1 over three starts since being dealt to San Diego and has dropped six of his last seven decisions overall.
"His stuff was good as evidenced by the seven strikeouts," Padres manager Bud Black said of Kennedy.
The Mets scored one run in the second and two in the third to take an early 3-0 lead.
In the second, Recker doubled, moved to third on Omar Quintanilla's single then scored on a Young groundout to second.
Byrd and Davis opened the third with back-to-back homers to make it a three- run game.
"It was a fastball middle-in and I finally caught up to one and drove it out of the yard," Davis, who hadn't homered in 36 games said.
Venable smashed a homer in the home half to pull the Padres within 3-1, but Murphy clubbed a two-run homer in the fourth to make it a four-run game. Niese worked a leadoff walk, and after Young struck out, Murphy clobbered his 10th homer of the season deep into the seats in right field.
The Padres added a run in the eighth. Chase Headley doubled then scored on Alonso's single to center field.
The Mets have scored the game's first run in 10 of their last 11 contests ... Niese is 2-0 since returning from the disabled list on Aug. 11 ... Niese has held opponents to no more than three earned runs in seven of his last eight starts ... New York went 2-for-8 with runners in scoring position ... San Diego went 1-for-12 with RISP ... San Diego's Jedd Gyorko recorded his sixth three-hit games this season.
- NEW YORK: 5
SAN DIEGO: 2
Aug 17 1:23 AM
- Yonder Alonso singled to center scored Chase Headley. Runner on first with none out and Jedd Gyorko due up.
Mets 5, Padres 2 Bot 8, 0 OutsAug 17 12:56 AM
- Daniel Murphy one-out, two-run Home Run (10) to right scored Jon Niese. Marlon Byrd due up.
Mets 5, Padres 1 Top 4, 1 OutAug 16 11:22 PM
- Will Venable two-out, solo Home Run (16) to right. Chase Headley due up.
Mets 3, Padres 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 16 11:13 PM
- Ike Davis lead-off Home Run (7) to right. Josh Satin due up.
Mets 3, Padres 0 Top 3, 0 OutsAug 16 10:59 PM
- Marlon Byrd lead-off Home Run (19) to center. Ike Davis due up.
Mets 2, Padres 0 Top 3, 0 OutsAug 16 10:58 PM
- Eric Young grounded out second to first scored Anthony Recker. On the play, Omar Quintanilla advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Daniel Murphy due up.
Mets 1, Padres 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 16 10:42 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 16 10:11 PM
- Mets' Duda out long term with stress fracture in lower back May 23
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22