Hanigan, Bailey lead Reds to rout of BrewersAug 19, 2013 - 4:55 AM Milwaukee, WI (Sports Network) - Ryan Hanigan drove in three runs as the Cincinnati Reds took a 9-1 win over the Milwaukee Brewers to earn a split of a four-game series.
Brandon Phillips drove in a pair of runs, while Chris Heisey and Jack Hannahan each scored twice for the Reds, who have won six of their last eight. Homer Bailey (8-10) won his third straight decision after he gave up just one run on three hits with a walk and eight strikeouts in eight innings.
"Just a bunch of hits from a bunch of good at-bats," Hanigan said. "If we can keep having at-bats like that, I think the offense will get going."
Khris Davis' home run accounted for all the offense for the Brewers, who had taken the past two games of this set. Wily Peralta (8-13) gave up seven runs on eight hits over 4 1/3 innings to lose for a fourth time in his past five starts.
"Hopefully, he bounces back, and the next one is a good one," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said of Peralta. "It's just his command. When his command is off, he's not going to pitch well. His command was off today."
The Reds got all the runs they needed in the second inning and Hanigan got it started with a two-run single. Later in the frame, Martin Maldonado allowed a passed ball to score a run and Phillips' two-run single made it a 5-0 contest.
Another big inning in the fifth gave Cincinnati a 9-0 lead. Heisey hit an RBI single and Hanigan later added a run-scoring base hit. Bases-loaded walks to Cesar Izturis and Joey Votto scored the other runs.
Davis led off the bottom half with his sixth home run of the season, but the Brewers managed just three more baserunners in the game.
The Reds have won eight of the 13 games against the Brewers this season ... Cincinnati batted 6-for-12 with runners in scoring position ... Cincinnati hosts Arizona for four games starting on Monday, while Milwaukee takes on St. Louis in a three-game set beginning on Monday.
- CINCINNATI: 9
Aug 18 5:10 PM
- Khris Davis lead-off Home Run (6) to left. Scooter Gennett due up.
Reds 9, Brewers 1 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 18 4:00 PM
- Joey Votto walk scored Ryan Hanigan with two out. Bases loaded and Brandon Phillips due up.
Reds 9, Brewers 0 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 18 3:55 PM
- Cesar Izturis walk scored Jack Hannahan with two out. Bases loaded and Joey Votto due up.
Reds 8, Brewers 0 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 18 3:52 PM
- Ryan Hanigan single to center scored Chris Heisey with one out. On the play, Jack Hannahan advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Homer Bailey due up.
Reds 7, Brewers 0 Top 5, 1 OutAug 18 3:48 PM
- Chris Heisey single to left scored Brandon Phillips with one out. Runner on first and Jack Hannahan due up.
Reds 6, Brewers 0 Top 5, 1 OutAug 18 3:38 PM
- Brandon Phillips single to left scored Ryan Hanigan and Shin-Soo Choo with two out. On the play, Brandon Phillips advanced to second and Joey Votto advanced to third on Khris Davis' fielding error. Runners on second and third and Jay Bruce due up.
Reds 5, Brewers 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 18 2:45 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo advanced to second, Ryan Hanigan advanced to third and Jack Hannahan scored on a Martin Maldonado passed ball with two out. Runners on second and third and Joey Votto at the plate.
Reds 3, Brewers 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 18 2:41 PM
- Ryan Hanigan single to left scored Jay Bruce and Chris Heisey with none out. On the play, Jack Hannahan advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Homer Bailey due up.
Reds 2, Brewers 0 Top 2, 0 OutsAug 18 2:34 PM
- CINCINNATI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 18 2:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21