Cardinals rally in eighth to escape Milwaukee with winAug 20, 2013 - 5:34 AM Milwaukee, WI (Sports Network) - Matt Carpenter drove in the game-winning run in the eighth inning as the St. Louis Cardinals took an 8-5 win over the Milwaukee Brewers to open a three-game set.
Matt Adams tied the game in the eighth with a pinch-hit RBI single, and David Freese added a pinch-hit, two-run double later in the frame for the Cardinals, who have won three straight and six of eight.
Shelby Miller gave up two runs on five hits with four walks and eight strikeouts over 5 1/3 innings. Michael Wacha (2-0) gave up three runs in the seventh, but got the win thanks to his club rallying in the eighth.
"He made a couple of mistakes that came back to haunt him," said Cardinals manager Mike Matheny about Miller. "You know he had a leadoff walk one inning and hit a batter to start another inning and those came back to bite him."
Jonathan Lucroy went 3-for-4 with two RBI and a run scored, while Aramis Ramirez added a two-run homer for the Brewers, who have lost four of six.
"Everybody is playing for something here," said Ramirez. "We have a lot of young guys here who want to show everyone what they can do and get a full-time job for next year."
Marco Estrada pitched six innings and gave up four runs on eight hits with a walk and four strikeouts. Brandon Kintzler (3-1) took the loss after giving up the four runs in the eighth inning.
Trailing by a run entering the eighth, the Cardinals went on top in the inning on consecutive RBI singles from Adams and Carpenter. Freese gave the team some breathing room later in the inning with a two-run double for an 8-5 advantage.
The Brewers went down in order in the eighth, and Edward Mujica stranded runners on second and third in the ninth for his 32nd save of the season.
Carlos Beltran's 21st home run of the season, a solo shot to right in the first, staked the Cardinals to a 1-0 lead.
The third inning saw the Brewers tie the game on Lucroy's RBI single, but St. Louis went back on top in the fourth as Allen Craig led off with a single and scored on Yadier Molina's double for a 2-1 game.
The game was again tied after Norichika Aoki led off the fifth with his seventh homer of the year, but St. Louis went back on top in the sixth as Molina hit a one-out single and Jon Jay followed with his seventh homer of the season for a 4-2 advantage.
Milwaukee took its first lead of the game in the seventh as Lucroy laced an RBI single to center and came home when Ramirez followed with his sixth homer of the year for a 5-4 advantage.
Milwaukee stranded 11 men on base after batting just 2-for-9 with runners in scoring position ... The Cardinals left nine on base, but went 4-for-13 with RISP ... St. Louis has won nine of the 11 games against Milwaukee this season.
- ST. LOUIS: 8
Aug 19 11:38 PM
- Pinch-Hitter David Freese double to left scored Matt Adams and Matt Carpenter with two outs. On the play, Carlos Beltran advances to third. Runners on second and third and Allen Craig due up.
Cardinals 8, Brewers 5 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 19 11:08 PM
- Matt Carpenter single to left scored Daniel Descalso with two outs. On the play, Matt Adams advances to second. Runners on first and second and Carlos Beltran due up.
Cardinals 6, Brewers 5 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 19 11:03 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Matt Adams single to center scored Kolten Wong with two outs. On the play, Daniel Descalso advances to third. Runners on first and third and Matt Carpenter due up.
Cardinals 5, Brewers 5 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 19 11:03 PM
- Aramis Ramirez none-out, two-run Home Run (6) to left scored Jonathan Lucroy. Juan Francisco due up.
Cardinals 4, Brewers 5 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 19 10:35 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy single to center scored Jean Segura with none out. Runner on first and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Cardinals 4, Brewers 3 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 19 10:33 PM
- Jon Jay one-out, two-run Home Run (7) to center scored Yadier Molina. Kolten Wong due up.
Cardinals 4, Brewers 2 Top 6, 1 OutAug 19 9:57 PM
- Norichika Aoki lead-off Home Run (7) to right. Jean Segura due up.
Cardinals 2, Brewers 2 Bot 5, 0 OutsAug 19 9:38 PM
- Yadier Molina double to right scored Allen Craig with none out. Runner on second and Jon Jay due up.
Cardinals 2, Brewers 1 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 19 9:14 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy single to right scored Marco Estrada with one out. On the play, Norichika Aoki advances to second. Runners on first and second and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Cardinals 1, Brewers 1 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 19 9:04 PM
- Carlos Beltran one-out, solo Home Run (21) to right. Matt Holliday due up.
Cardinals 1, Brewers 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 19 8:15 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 19 8:11 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21