Brewers roar back and beat CardinalsAug 21, 2013 - 5:53 AM Milwaukee, WI (Sports Network) - Sean Halton went 2-for-3 with a run scored and three RBI and the Milwaukee Brewers scored six unanswered runs to get by the St. Louis Cardinals, 6-3, in the middle test of a three-game series.
Halton's two-run single highlighted a five-run fourth inning that saw Scooter Gennett, Logan Schafer and Norichika Aoki each drive in a run.
The Brewers had lost five straight at home to the Cardinals, including an 8-5 setback on Monday, but Kyle Lohse (9-8) held his former club to three runs on six hits over six innings to pick up the win.
"I don't put any more emphasis on any one game over the other," said Lohse when asked about pitching against the Cardinals. "I went out there and tried to do what I've been doing."
Lance Lynn (13-7) was tagged for all six runs -- four earned -- on nine hits over six frames as St. Louis had its three-game win streak snapped.
Matt Adams beat the shift on the right side with an RBI single in the first inning, and Yadier Molina made it 3-0 in favor of the Cardinals with a two-run homer over the left-field wall in the fourth.
The Brewers loaded the bases in the bottom half courtesy of a pair of singles and a Lynn error, and three consecutive base hits pushed four runs across. Gennett punched a bouncer through the middle to get the Brewers on the board, Halton brought in two with a comebacker to center and Schafer blooped a single to left for a 4-3 Milwaukee lead.
Aoki capped the inning with a sacrifice fly, and Halton added an insurance run with a two-out, run-scoring single in the fifth.
"It snowballed (on us) a little bit...and we couldn't get it stopped," Cardinals manager Mike Matheny said of the pivotal frame.
Aoki made a terrific leaping grab at the warning track to prevent a run from scoring in the seventh, and Jim Henderson closed it out in the ninth for his 19th save.
Lohse, who finished seventh in NL Cy Young Award voting last year while pitching for St. Louis, has gone 8-2 in his last 16 starts ... All 10 hits for the Brewers were singles ... Kolten Wong had three of St. Louis' eight hits ... The Cardinals still lead the season series, 9-3.
- ST. LOUIS: 3
Aug 20 11:06 PM
- Sean Halton single to center scored Khris Davis. On the play, Scooter Gennett advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Logan Schafer due up.
Cardinals 3, Brewers 6 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 20 9:50 PM
- Norichika Aoki sacrifice fly out to left scored Sean Halton. On the play, Logan Schafer advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Jean Segura due up.
Cardinals 3, Brewers 5 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 20 9:26 PM
- Logan Schafer single to left scored Scooter Gennett. On the play, Sean Halton advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Kyle Lohse due up.
Cardinals 3, Brewers 4 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 20 9:23 PM
- Sean Halton single to center scored Aramis Ramirez and Khris Davis. On the play, Scooter Gennett advances to second. Runners on first and second with none out and Logan Schafer due up.
Cardinals 3, Brewers 3 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 20 9:20 PM
- Scooter Gennett single to center scored Jonathan Lucroy. On the play, Khris Davis advances to second and Aramis Ramirez advances to third. Bases loaded with none out and Sean Halton due up.
Cardinals 3, Brewers 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 20 9:19 PM
- Yadier Molina none-out, two-run Home Run (10) to left scored Carlos Beltran. Matt Adams due up.
Cardinals 3, Brewers 0 Top 4, 0 OutsAug 20 9:07 PM
- Matt Adams single to center scored Yadier Molina. Runner on first with one out and David Freese due up.
Cardinals 1, Brewers 0 Top 2, 1 OutAug 20 8:29 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 20 8:10 PM
- Brewers-Braves Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Syndergaard Ks 11, Conforto homers as Mets sweep Brewers May 22
- Eickhoff shuts down Braves over 7 innings, Phillies win 5-0 May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Braun back in Brewers' lineup vs Mets after missing 4 games May 22
- LEADING OFF: Bradley's 26-game hit streak, Braun recovering May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Brewers-Mets Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21