Choo, Reds upend D'backsAug 22, 2013 - 6:04 AM Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - Shin-Soo Choo went 4-for-5 with three runs scored and three RBI, finishing a triple shy of the cycle, as the Cincinnati Reds took the third of a four-game set from the Arizona Diamondbacks with a 10-7 win at the Great American Ball Park.
Devin Mesoraco had two hits and two RBI for Cincinnati, which increased its lead over Arizona in the National League wild card standings to six games with the victory.
Mike Leake (11-5) went six innings, yielding four runs on six hits. Aroldis Chapman picked up his 32nd save and his first six-out save of the season.
Arizona starter Brandon McCarthy (2-8) lasted just 2 1/3 innings after surrendering seven runs on eight hits. Adam Eaton and Gerardo Parra each went yard in the losing effort.
"I couldn't get anything down in the zone for whatever reason," McCarthy said. "I really think mechanically I just got some issues I have to iron out."
Choo led off the bottom of the first and sent the second pitch he saw from McCarthy over the fence in left field for his sixth leadoff homer of the season.
The Reds added to their lead in the second when consecutive two-out singles between shortstop and third base by Mesoraco and Zack Cosart brought Leake to the plate. The Reds' hurler, who entered the contest with just one RBI on the season, delivered a ground-rule double to right, plating Mesoraco. Choo followed with a single up the middle, giving Cincinnati an early 4-0 edge.
The rout continued an inning later. Chris Heisey doubled home Brandon Phillips with one away in the third. Mesoraco followed with a single to center, plating Jay Bruce and Heisey and giving the Reds a 7-0 cushion. McCarthy was relieved in favor of Josh Collmenter, who recorded two quick outs to avoid further damage.
The lead grew to 8-0 when Joey Votto joined the action with an RBI single to center, scoring Choo.
After retiring 13 of the first 14 batters he faced, Leake ran into trouble in the fifth, allowing consecutive singles to Wil Nieves and A.J. Pollock. Leake then fanned Didi Gregorius for the second out, but pinch-hitter Jason Kubel drove in two with a single to right. Eaton then clubbed his third career home run, cutting Arizona's deficit in half.
"It was a tough one being up 8-0 and then it ended up being a stressful game," Leake said. "It stinks but at least we came away with it."
Pinch-hitter Tony Campana sparked another two-out rally for Arizona in the seventh inning when he reached on an infield dribbler to short. Eaton followed with a walk and Martin Prado singled home the Diamondbacks' fifth run. After Paul Goldschmidt walked to put the tying run on first, reliever J.J. Hoover induced an Aaron Hill fly out to left.
Parra's solo home run off Jonathan Broxton in the eighth was initially ruled a double, but an umpire review revealed that the ball did in fact travel over the wall before ricocheting back onto the field. Broxton then walked Nieves, and Reds manager Dusty Baker went to his closer.
Chapman took the hill with no outs and a man on first. Pollock grounded out, but Gregorius walked, bringing pinch-hitter Matt Davidson to the plate with two on. Chapman forced Davidson into a tailor-made double play grounder to short. Cosart fielded the grounder cleanly and flipped to Phillips for the initial out, but Phillips' throw went under Votto's glove at first, and a run came across to make it 8-7. Chapman fanned Eaton to secure Cincinnati's lead.
Todd Frazier and Phillips provided Chapman with insurance runs, each registering an RBI-single in the bottom of the eighth. Chapman then pitched around a walk and a single in the ninth, recording three consecutive outs to end the contest.
Chapman made his first career at-bat in the bottom of the eighth inning, drawing a full count before striking out swinging ... The Reds have won 11 of their last 15 games ... Cincinnati went 7-for-12 with runners in scoring position while Arizona hit just 2-for-9 with RISP ... Hill's 13-game hitting streak came to an end after an 0-for-5 effort ... McCarthy has lost five straight decisions.
- ARIZONA: 7
Aug 21 10:57 PM
- Brandon Phillips infield single to short scored Shin-Soo Choo with two outs. On the play, Joey Votto advances to second and Todd Frazier advances to third. Bases loaded and Jay Bruce due up.
Diamondbacks 7, Reds 10 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 21 10:42 PM
- Todd Frazier single to center scored Zack Cozart with two outs. On the play, Shin-Soo Choo advances to second. Runners on first and second and Joey Votto due up.
Diamondbacks 7, Reds 9 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 21 10:36 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Matt Davidson grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second. Didi Gregorius out at second, and Wil Nieves scored on Brandon Phillips's throwing error. Runner on second with two outs and Adam Eaton due up.
Diamondbacks 7, Reds 8 Top 8, 2 OutsAug 21 10:22 PM
- Gerardo Parra lead-off Home Run (9) to left center. Wil Nieves due up.
Diamondbacks 6, Reds 8 Top 8, 0 OutsAug 21 10:08 PM
- Martin Prado single to center scored Tony Campana with two outs. On the play, Adam Eaton advances to third. Runners on first and third and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Diamondbacks 5, Reds 8 Top 7, 2 OutsAug 21 9:37 PM
- Adam Eaton two-out, two-run Home Run (2) to right scored Jason Kubel. Martin Prado due up.
Diamondbacks 4, Reds 8 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 21 8:55 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jason Kubel single to right scored Wil Nieves and A.J. Pollock with two outs. Runner on first and Adam Eaton due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Reds 8 Top 5, 2 OutsAug 21 8:53 PM
- Joey Votto single to center scored Shin-Soo Choo with one out. Runner on first and Brandon Phillips due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Reds 8 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 21 8:38 PM
- Devin Mesoraco single to center scored Jay Bruce and Chris Heisey with one out. Runner on first and Zack Cozart due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Reds 7 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 21 8:08 PM
- Chris Heisey double to left scored Brandon Phillips with one out. On the play, Jay Bruce advances to third. Runners on second and third and Devin Mesoraco due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Reds 5 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 21 8:04 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo single to center scored Zack Cozart and Mike Leake with two outs. Runner on first and Todd Frazier due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Reds 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 21 7:43 PM
- Mike Leake ground-rule double to right scored Devin Mesoraco with two outs. On the play, Zack Cozart advances to third. Runners on second and third and Shin-Soo Choo due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Reds 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 21 7:40 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo lead-off Home Run (16) to left. Todd Frazier due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Reds 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 21 7:19 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 21 7:11 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21