Reds get by D-Backs in series finaleAug 22, 2013 - 11:28 PM Cincinnati, OH (Sports Network) - Shin-Soo Choo scored the go-ahead run on a wild pitch in the eighth inning, as the Cincinnati Reds defeated the Arizona Diamondbacks, 2-1, in the finale of a four-game set at Great American Ball Park.
Choo finished 2-for-4 with two runs scored for the Reds, who took three of four from the Diamondbacks.
Mat Latos (13-4) tossed eight strong innings to get the win for Cincinnati, which has won nine of its last 12 games overall. He allowed one run on five hits, striking out six without walking a batter. The right-hander has won five of his last six decisions and has yielded just three earned runs in 30 1/3 innings over his last three starts.
"He's grown up before our eyes," Reds manager Dusty Baker said of Latos, who was battling sickness the whole game. "He did what aces do."
Paul Goldschmidt had three hits for Arizona, which fell to 3-4 on its current 10-game road trip. Adam Eaton and Aaron Hill added a pair of hits each for the Diamondbacks, who might've won had it not been for four wild pitches and a throwing error by their pitchers.
"They scored both their runs off wild pitches," Arizona manager Kirk Gibson said. "That's tough to swallow."
With the game tied 1-1 in the eighth, Choo began the inning with a single off reliever Eury De La Rosa (0-1) and moved to second on an errant pick-off attempt by the left-handed hurler. Todd Frazier then sacrificed Choo to third and a wild pitch on a 3-2 count to Joey Votto allowed Choo to score the go- ahead run.
Arizona starter Trevor Cahill uncorked three wild pitches in the third inning, leading to the Reds' first run.
Sam LeCure came on to get the final three outs for Cincinnati to earn his first save of the season. With the Reds' regular closer Aroldis Chapman not available, LeCure pitched around a two-on, one-out jam by striking out Jason Kubel and inducing a game-ending groundout by Wil Nieves.
The Reds got a run in the third when Brandon Phillips' groundout plated Choo, who led off the inning with a single, moved to second and then third on a pair of one-out wild pitches by Cahill with Votto at the plate. Prior to Phillips' groundout, Cahill uncorked a wild pitch -- his third of the inning -- that allowed Votto to move to second with Choo holding at third. Otherwise, Phillips' grounder might've been an inning-ending double play.
The D-backs got that run back in the fourth. After being no-hit through the first three frames, Eaton began the fourth with a single, moved to second on a Goldschmidt base hit and then third on a Martin Prado double-play ground out. Aaron Hill followed with a hard-hit grounder to third that went off Zack Cozart for a base hit to score Eaton.
Cahill settled down after his shaky third inning, allowing just two hits the rest of the way until he was pulled for a pinch-hitter in the eighth. The right-hander was charged with one run on four hits, striking out seven. His four walks all came in the first three innings.
Prior to the game, the Reds placed reliever Jonathan Broxton on the 15-day disabled list due to a right flexor mass strain ... The Reds also moved pitcher Johnny Cueto to the 60-day disabled list to open a roster spot for pitcher Nick Christiani, who was recalled from Triple-A Louisville ... Prado had a nine-game hitting streak come to an end, finishing 0-for-4.
- ARIZONA: 1
Aug 22 3:24 PM
- Joey Votto walked. On the play, Eury De La Rosa wild pitch scored Shin-Soo Choo. Runner on first with one out and Brandon Phillips due up
Diamondbacks 1, Reds 2 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 22 3:03 PM
- Aaron Hill infield single to third scored Adam Eaton. Runner on first with two outs and Jason Kubel due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Reds 1 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 22 1:48 PM
- Brandon Phillips grounded out second to first scored Shin-Soo Choo. On the play, Joey Votto advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Jay Bruce due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Reds 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsAug 22 1:32 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 22 12:37 PM
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Reds-Dodgers Preview May 23
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Greinke, Diamondbacks too much for Cardinals, 7-2 May 22
- Martin, Cano help Mariners sweep, hand Reds 7th loss in row May 22
- Reds promote 3 pitchers from Triple-A Louisville May 22
- Baseball Capsules May 22
- Mariners-Reds Preview May 21
- Diamondbacks-Cardinals Preview May 21
- Late rally falls short as Diamondbacks fall to Cardinals 6-2 May 21
- Gutierrez homers, Mariners beat Reds 4-0 with Junior honored May 21
- Cardinals blast 3 homers, Leake shuts down Diamondbacks 6-2 May 21