Tracy boosts Nats over Cubs in 13 inningsAug 23, 2013 - 3:26 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Pinch-hitter Chad Tracy knocked in the go-ahead run with a groundout in the 13th inning to boost the Washington Nationals to a 5-4 win over the Chicago Cubs.
Ryan Zimmerman and Steve Lombardozzi homered for the Nationals, who took the final three contests of the four-game set.
Brian Bogusevic went 3-for-4 with a solo homer and Donnie Murphy added a two- run shot to cap a three-run ninth inning against Stephen Strasburg that tied the game, but the Cubs fell to 5-15 this month.
Denard Span doubled to left off Michael Bowden (1-3) to start the 13th. Lombardozzi's sacrifice bunt advanced the runner, and Span scored when Tracy hit a slow roller toward first base. Bowden's only play was to first.
Craig Stammen (7-5) threw two hitless innings to get the win and Drew Storen worked around an error from Lombardozzi at second base to nail down his third save. Storen deflected Dioner Navarro's liner that turned into the game-ending double play.
Strasburg gave up seven hits and had eight strikeouts in 8 2/3 innings, while Cubs starter Travis Wood allowed seven hits over the first 6 2/3 frames.
Strasburg, who hasn't won a road start in three months, looked primed to break the skid, but the Cubs rallied and plated three in the ninth to tie it.
Navarro hit a one-out single before Nate Schierholtz grounded into a force out. Schierholtz moved to second on a defensive indifference during Junior Lake's at-bat before the rookie slapped a base hit to deep shortstop to bring home Schierholtz.
Murphy stepped up next and cracked a towering shot that reached the front row of bleachers in left to knot the tilt at 4-4. It was Murphy's fourth homer in his last four contests.
"What a great effort. I know he was upset, but he pitched a heck of a ball game," Nationals manager Davey Johnson said of Strasburg.
The start of the game was delayed two hours by rain. The Nationals jumped out to a 4-0 lead after plating a run in the first, two in the second and another in the seventh.
Zimmerman belted a two-out solo shot into the seats in right-center in the opening frame. Strasburg had a one-out RBI single and Anthony Rendon lifted a sacrifice fly to center in the second and Lombardozzi smacked a leadoff homer to left in the seventh.
Bogusevic began the eighth with a blast over the wall in right-center to get the Cubs on the board.
"The bottom line is we've got to win games," Cubs manager Dale Sveum said. "We just come up short in games like this. When you're at home, it's tough when you don't have one walk-off win at home all season."
The Nationals went 1-for-10 with men in scoring position and left 12 on base ... Zimmerman had three hits ... The Nats matched their longest road winning streak of the season ... Murphy has eight home runs since Aug. 6.
- WASHINGTON: 5
Aug 22 8:25 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Chad Tracy ground out pitcher to first scored Denard Span with two out. None on and Bryce Harper due up.
Nationals 5, Cubs 4 Top 13, 2 OutsAug 22 8:16 PM
- Donnie Murphy two-out, two-run Home Run (8) to left scored Junior Lake. Brian Bogusevic due up.
Nationals 4, Cubs 4 Bot 9, 2 OutsAug 22 7:04 PM
- Junior Lake singled to short. On the play, Nate Schierholtz scored on Anthony Rendon's throwing error wuth two out. Runner on first and Donnie Murphy due up.
Nationals 4, Cubs 2 Bot 9, 2 OutsAug 22 7:03 PM
- Brian Bogusevic lead-off Home Run (2) to right center. Darwin Barney due up.
Nationals 4, Cubs 1 Bot 8, 0 OutsAug 22 6:36 PM
- Steve Lombardozzi lead-off Home Run (1) to left. Stephen Strasburg due up.
Nationals 4, Cubs 0 Top 7, 0 OutsAug 22 6:05 PM
- Anthony Rendon sacrifice fly to center scored Steve Lombardozzi with two out. Runners on first and second with Ryan Zimmerman due up.
Nationals 3, Cubs 0 Top 2, 2 OutsAug 22 4:53 PM
- Stephen Strasburg single to center scored Tyler Moore with one out. On the play, Steve Lombardozzi advances to third. Runners on first and third with Bryce Harper due up.
Nationals 2, Cubs 0 Top 2, 1 OutAug 22 4:47 PM
- Ryan Zimmerman two-out, solo Home Run (15) to right center. Jayson Werth due up.
Nationals 1, Cubs 0 Top 1, 2 OutsAug 22 4:24 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 22 4:21 PM
- Mets-Nationals Preview May 23
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- LEADING OFF: Kershaw tests streak vs Reds, Colon faces Nats May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Signs of progress for Stanton in Marlins' 8-2 loss to Nats May 22
- Scherzer pitches 8 innings to help Nats beat Marlins 8-2 May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22
- Nationals-Marlins Preview May 22
- Cain, Posey lead Giants over Cubs 5-3 May 22
- Nats' 9th-inning rally comes up short in 3-2 loss at Miami May 21
- Lester goes just 2 2/3 innings in Cubs' 5-3 loss to Giants May 21