Padres rally over CubsAug 24, 2013 - 7:11 AM San Diego, CA (Sports Network) - Will Venable drove in three runs, including the go-ahead home run in the bottom of the seventh inning, to lift the San Diego Padres to an 8-6 win over the Chicago Cubs, in the opener of a three- game series at Petco Park.
With one out in the seventh, Venable clubbed a 1-0 pitch off James Russell (1-5) over the right field wall to give the Padres the lead for good.
"Well, once again it was bad pitch selection," said Cubs manager Dale Sveum about Russell serving up the homer to Venable.
Nick Vincent (3-1) gave up a bunt single in the seventh to pick up the win while Huston Street threw a scoreless ninth to notch his 25th save.
Jedd Gyorko hit two home runs and had four RBI for the Padres, who rebounded from an early 6-0 hole.
"I'm getting good pitches and putting good swings on it," said Gyorko. "It's about what it comes down to. I'm starting to find my swing, a little bit back to how it was a little bit before I got hurt."
Nate Schierholtz hit a three-run home run while Brian Bogusevic drove in two runs for the Cubs, who have lost four straight and 10 of their last 12 games.
The Cubs took it to Padres starter Edinson Volquez immediately in the first. Starlin Castro reached first on a throwing error by Chase Headley. Anthony Rizzo and Dioner Navarro hit back-to-back singles, the latter of which drove in a run, and Schierholtz knocked a three-run shot.
Junior Lake followed with an infield single and Donnie Murphy was hit by a pitch before Bogusevic delivered a two-RBI triple to right center that created a six-run advantage.
Volquez retired Cubs starter Edwin Jackson and Castro before walking Rizzo. After 42 pitches and just two outs, Volquez was replaced by Tim Stauffer. It was the shortest start of his career since Aug. 23, 2010.
San Diego got on the board in the fourth. Venable led off with a base hit to center and Yonder Alonso hit an infield single two batters later. Gyorko's home run to center cut the deficit to 6-3.
An inning later, with one out and runners on second and third, Venable drove in both with a triple to right center.
In the sixth, Headley hit a one-out double to left center and scored on Logan Forsythe's RBI triple to right center, tying the game at 6-6.
Gyorko solo shot to right in the eighth accounted for the final margin.
Jackson gave up six runs -- five earned -- on 10 hits over six-plus innings ... Schierholtz has four home runs and 14 RBI over his last 10 games ... Venable is 17-for-44 with three home runs, eight RBI and 10 runs scored over his last 10 games ... Street has converted 10 straight save opportunities and made 16 consecutive scoreless appearances.
- CHICAGO: 6
SAN DIEGO: 8
Aug 24 1:24 AM
- Jedd Gyorko lead off Home Run 2 (16) to right center. Chase Headley due up.
Cubs 6, Padres 8 Bot 8, 0 OutsAug 24 1:06 AM
- Will Venable one-out, solo Home Run (18) to right. Chris Denorfia due up.
Cubs 6, Padres 7 Bot 7, 1 OutAug 24 12:51 AM
- Logan Forsythe triple to right scored Chase Headley with two outs. Runner on third and Nick Hundley due up.
Cubs 6, Padres 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 24 12:28 AM
- Will Venable triple to right center scored Logan Forsythe and Nick Hundley with one out. Runner on third and Chris Denorfia due up.
Cubs 6, Padres 5 Bot 5, 1 OutAug 24 12:01 AM
- Jedd Gyorko one-out, three-run Home Run (15) to left center scored Will Venable and Yonder Alonso. Chase Headley due up.
Cubs 6, Padres 3 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 23 11:39 PM
- Brian Bogusevic triple to right center scored Junior Lake and Donnie Murphy with none out. Runner on third and Darwin Barney due up.
Cubs 6, Padres 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 23 10:29 PM
- Nate Schierholtz none-out, three-run Home Run (19) to right scored Anthony Rizzo and Dioner Navarro. Junior Lake due up.
Cubs 4, Padres 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 23 10:22 PM
- Dioner Navarro single to center scored Starlin Castro with none out. On the play, Anthony Rizzo advances to second. Runners on first and second and Nate Schierholtz due up.
Cubs 1, Padres 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 23 10:18 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 23 10:13 PM
- Cubs-Cardinals Preview May 23
- Padres-Giants Preview May 23
- Bumgarner throws gem, gets RBI in Giants' 1-0 win over Cubs May 23
- Cubs slowed again by Bumgarner, Giants in 1-0 loss May 23
- Rookie Perdomo tough-luck loser in 9-5 defeat to Dodgers May 22
- Puig's 2-run single in 17th leads Dodgers over Padres, 9-5 May 22
- Padres under fire for mishandling gay chorus' anthem May 22
- Plate umpire Rackley leaves after getting hit by foul bunt May 22
- Solarte draws bases-loaded BB in 11th, Padres walk off again May 22
- Dodgers lose 3-2 in 11th after Tsao issues walk-off walk May 22
- Dodgers-Padres Preview May 22
- Cubs-Giants Preview May 22